Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by BrokenLS
Well... My girlfriend and I recently purchased a 97 Monte Carlo Ls. Drove it for about a week and it got hot. Well when i arrived i checked the radiator and found some creamy brown gunk... No smoking , or water coming out of tail pipe. I figured it was a Intake Gasket.. Tore it down, changed the gasket, Torqued the rockers to 24FT/LBS in sequence..Put the whole thing together and turned the key..Just turned over in over with little popping sounds.. I fiddled with the gas pedal for a sec and it finally started.. Its rocking hard and missing... I know i put everything back together right. Anyone know what may be the issue?
I'm waiting on funds to do this myself but if I remember correctly I think the rockers get torqued to 25 INCH POUNDS not FOOT POUNDS. A micro torque wrench is one of the things on my list for this job. If that is correct you have tightened the 12x too much. Can anyone confirm this? I'm not 100% positive.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM

well put the tester on it again and its telling my TPS so imma change it tomorrow....blah

Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by BrokenLS
well put the tester on it again and its telling my TPS so imma change it tomorrow....blah

Jim1405 is Very correct,Surprised I did not catch that! That's what I get for getting up early for work ! Not at my best

Check the pins in the plug also they can back out. Do you have a shop manual for your car? Do yourself a favor and open one and read on the codes you will find steps on how to check these parts before you replace them !! IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY!

All you need is a good Digital Voltmeter.At sears you can get a craftsman for under 30 bucks.

Just trying to help you here. Sometimes you have to step back.. First off it ran good BEFORE THE gasket change correct ?
I keep saying this but did you check for vacuum leaks?? A vacuum leak can and will cause ALL KINDS OF WEIRD CODES !

Check the site out it is free to sign up.I use it and has good info.
OBD-II Trouble Codes - DTC Codes Car Repair

Mike

Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't. Know about your whole problem But 2wierd things that caused my 02 S'S to idle Hi. First is air bubbles in the cooling system. Second is a bad MAF sensor. Engine would idle from 1500 to 3000 rpms and it was rough. The car felt like it wanted to drive itself. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jim1405
I'm waiting on funds to do this myself but if I remember correctly I think the rockers get torqued to 25 INCH POUNDS not FOOT POUNDS. A micro torque wrench is one of the things on my list for this job. If that is correct you have tightened the 12x too much. Can anyone confirm this? I'm not 100% positive.
The '97 3.1 & 3.4 rocker arm bolt torque spec is 89 in-lb then an additional 30° rotation to center the plungers in the lifters.

If you are getting codes popping up (that weren't there before) relating to circuits I'd double check all sensor connections to insure they are clean/tight and their routing to make sure no harnesses were accidently pinched or crimped during reassembly.

P0341 - After replacing the cam sensor a relearn is required. A GM Tech II or equivalent scan tool is required.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Don't. Know about your whole problem But 2wierd things that caused my 02 S'S to idle Hi. First is air bubbles in the cooling system. Second is a bad MAF sensor. Engine would idle from 1500 to 3000 rpms and it was rough. The car felt like it wanted to drive itself. Good luck!
I changed the TPS today... same crap.... Thats what mine is doing!! its idling at 1000-2500 rpms!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM

Well JC Was right!! Im embaressed because my girlfriend drained the cooling system and let it run for a sec, filled it with fresh anti-freeze and poof! FIXED!! wow thanks guys!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad I could help. The guys and gals of MCF have helped me with the restore of my YelloJAC many times. I'm glad I could give something back.
Check your coolant again in about a week to ensure there are no residual bubble left. Again glad I could help!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:43 AM

Good to hear its fixed !

Mike