Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Default Help!!!!

Well... My girlfriend and I recently purchased a 97 Monte Carlo Ls. Drove it for about a week and it got hot. Well when i arrived i checked the radiator and found some creamy brown gunk... No smoking , or water coming out of tail pipe. I figured it was a Intake Gasket.. Tore it down, changed the gasket, Torqued the rockers to 24FT/LBS in sequence..Put the whole thing together and turned the key..Just turned over in over with little popping sounds.. I fiddled with the gas pedal for a sec and it finally started.. Its rocking hard and missing... I know i put everything back together right. Anyone know what may be the issue?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM

anyone? Im so lost here....

Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 AM

I would recheck the order of the spark plug wires. Just and FYI here did you know that push rods are two different lengths ? on the 3.1. If they are backwards it could cause the valves to stay open and cause your popping or do something real bad to your engine.

The intake valve push-rods measure 144 mm (5.75 in) long.
Exhaust valve push-rods measure 152.5 mm (6.0 in) long.

Look at the 3.1 pic and recheck it!!

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ing_orders.jpg

Mike

Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks Sparkplug 'Mike for helping our new member 4'sure
* Hi BrokenLs & Welcome to the MCF..Good Luck on resolving your prob.

Posting to bump your thread. Let us know if you get your Monte back on the road >GOOD LUCK

Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 AM

I made sure i used the right ones, I read that they were different sizes... Thanks for the suggestion though... I was thinking maybe a sensor... Tuesday imma rent the OBD2 reader from autozone....

Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by BrokenLS
I made sure i used the right ones, I read that they were different sizes... Thanks for the suggestion though... I was thinking maybe a sensor... Tuesday imma rent the OBD2 reader from autozone....
Is your check engine lite on ? How did it run before the tear-down ? Post up tell us what you find.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Ya the check engine light was on when we bought it... I assumed it was something stupid like an O2 sensor... The check engine is still on..I tore off the the valve covers and the upper intake Plenum to check the fuel rail plugs. I readjusted the rockers and still its running goofy. Its still missing and revs odd... It smoothed out for a split second today but it was at a higher RPM... No one i know can figure it out. I even cleaned my spark plgs with a wire brush and gas.. My Monte is really becoming a pain n the ***...

Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM

It ran WONDERFUL previous to the gasket going bad!!!! I fell in love with it from the second i shifted outta park!!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Well today was another dark day in the world of my Monte.... Ran the code reader on it...Came back P0341..Changed it and it runs a lil better but still not right... Check engine light came back on and it now idles funny...gotta go get the reader again tomarrow and replace whatever it says... Something od though, along with the P0341 code, something else popped up but i didnt get it... something like bank 1 CRT? IDK??? any ideas?

Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by BrokenLS
Well today was another dark day in the world of my Monte.... Ran the code reader on it...Came back P0341..Changed it and it runs a lil better but still not right... Check engine light came back on and it now idles funny...gotta go get the reader again tomarrow and replace whatever it says... Something od though, along with the P0341 code, something else popped up but i didnt get it... something like bank 1 CRT? IDK??? any ideas?
It might be a pending system check.. If I recall correctly the system has to go through 40 some cycles( heat ) to clear pending tests if all is good the mil will turn off . If you cleard it with the scan tool and came right back well got to keep looking.

Be sure to check for vacuum leaks !!!! Not just hoses get a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake ect. A change in idle will tell you if its there..
Don't give up ! We all been there!

Mike

Quick Reply: Help!!!!