Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Heated seat fix.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 AM

My drivers side heated seat quit working. Passenger still works. I am thinking console switch. Looking for another opinion. Ty Carl

Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by carlm54stl
My drivers side heated seat quit working. Passenger still works. I am thinking console switch. Looking for another opinion. Ty Carl

Checking to see if it is a broken wire is easy.

Run the seat all the way ahead. Tilt it forward to reveal the plastic retainer. Unhook the retainer. Tilt the seat back and lift up on the front portion of the seat cover. If there is a burn spot and broken wire, you found the problem. It takes about 5 min and won't cost a thing.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Default you guys rock

Man....I live in Buffalo, NY and it gets cold here in the winter. I wasn't looking forward to this winter without my heated seat.

Thanks for the fix. I haven't fixed it permanetly yet put I put the wires back togather and wrapped some electrical tape around them and whola it works!!

Thank you so much.

-Matt-

Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm having the same problem. Driver's seat will not heat up at all. The switch lights up in both the high and low position. The passenger seat works fine.

I've check for the burnt wires and that does not appear to be the problem. No burn marks and the wires look fine.

Any suggestions where I should look next? Also, what is the trick to removing the switches? I'm tried prying up the bezel but it will not come out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ThirtySeven
I'm having the same problem. Driver's seat will not heat up at all. The switch lights up in both the high and low position. The passenger seat works fine.

I've check for the burnt wires and that does not appear to be the problem. No burn marks and the wires look fine.

Any suggestions where I should look next? Also, what is the trick to removing the switches? I'm tried prying up the bezel but it will not come out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
the bezel is just pressure clips should pop out, removed mine yesterday to check connections too

Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM

I happen to have the same symptoms as most of you. I have a wiring diagram but I still cannot find the problem.
I will be going at it tonight so if you find something, let me know and I will do the same. Sound good?

I will post on here any issues I find as well.

Last edited by Shandley; 01-13-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Yep. Broken wire as shown in post #1. Looks like wear and tear from my *** hitting it every time I got in broke the strands of the trace one at a time until the resistance there grew to a breaking burning red hot mess.

Anyways, I soldered the two ends to a piece of #16 TEW and used heat shrink over the connection points. Now, I love winter driving again.

My symptoms were no heat at all on the drivers side.
The light on the switch still came on.
The passenger side heater and switch worked fine.
Fuse was not blown.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shandley
Yep. Broken wire as shown in post #1. Looks like wear and tear from my *** hitting it every time I got in broke the strands of the trace one at a time until the resistance there grew to a breaking burning red hot mess.

Anyways, I soldered the two ends to a piece of #16 TEW and used heat shrink over the connection points. Now, I love winter driving again.

My symptoms were no heat at all on the drivers side.
The light on the switch still came on.
The passenger side heater and switch worked fine.
Fuse was not blown.
did you remove the entire seat or did u do it with it still installed?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 AM

Seat installed. I just reclined the seat ALL the way back. I pulled the back portion of the leather up like those half shirts hair bands wore in the 80s and laid some wet paper towel around where I was soldering as to not mark up the leather.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 AM

Before mine went out it got so hot it was burning my ***.
That lasted for a couple weeks on and off until I smelled something burning and ever since then it hasnt worked.

Quick Reply: Heated seat fix.