Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Headlight Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
1 Year Member
Default Headlight Recommendations

I want to replace the stock bulbs, I would like a recommendation as to what to replace themwith. I would like some of the bright white ones that I see some of the newer vehicles with. Are the Sylvania Silverstar a good replacement? If so, which set, there are I think 5 different types.

And finally, I need to know how to adjust the headlights. Currently, I'd say that my headlights show about 15-20 feet in front of the car, that seems a bit short. They also seem to point more to the center of my lane.

A little history on the alignment.............I hit a deer last year and the headlights just haven't seemed the same since.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Headlight Recommendations

I would go with silverstar ultras (the regular silverstars are just as bright, but some claim they have a short life expectancy, but the ultras are supposed to have fixed that)

To adjust, there are 2 screws (never actually seen this on a 6th, so somebody correct me if i'm wrong)

1 screw adjusts up and down, one does side to side. Park and aim your lights at the wall and put tape marks at the center of the beams on the wall so you can see how your adjusting them changes the direction. The screws take a really small socket, or just use pliers.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM

I've got a 2004. I don't know what Generation that is. I have a VERTICAL Ajdustment "Thing". I use a Nut Driver to Turn it.
There's NO Horizontal Adjustment. I had to Improvize.
I needed BOTH Beams moved away from center ... as you look at the two beams shining on the Garage Door from behind the Steering Wheel.

To get the Headlight Assembly ADJUSTED ... I Positioned the Headlight where the Beam needed to be ... WITHOUT the Plastic Locking Clip in place.
Using a narrow SECTION of a yellow AutoBody Filler Spreader as a Feeler Gauge ... I marked the Spreader Fragment at where it SHIMMED-OUT the Headlight Assy just right and MARKED the WIDTH of SHIM needed.

I SANDED-DOWN the Width of two Nylon Fender Washers to the WIDTH of got Measured on the Spreader-wedge Width-Tool.
I Krazy-Glued the two width-correcting nylon washers to the Headlight Mount in the grill.
I used a Dremel Tool with a Wafer Cut-off Disc to TRIM the Plastic Locking Clip to Fit over the tabs and Lock the Shimmed-Out Headlight Assy in the Holding Bracket.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
1 Year Member

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll track down some bulbs and then get them aligned.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 PM

its not anut drver the 06 its a torx-15