Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Default Headlight issue

Hello Forum! last time I was here,had possible intake leak.Replaced upper and lower gaskets,bingo all seems well.Now next issue, headlights stay on all the time,when car is shut off,lights go off after normal delay.rear lights go on too.Also blinkers work when they feel like it. 2000 SS Any thoughts?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like either the multifunction switch or another ignition switch failure. The ignition switch problem seems to be more and more common lately. Symptoms can vary. Check out the following threads:
1. https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...hat-now-55320/

2. https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...message-47515/

Last edited by plumbob; 04-19-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:18 PM

Thanks Plumbob, I'll check it out.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:04 AM
Default 2002 Monte Carlo 3.4 highbeam out ms

when I turn on the car An put in gear most the time it says highbeam out on the message I looked at them all they work fine I check the fuse there fine to An when I put the blinkers on they flash fast as hell I need help to fix these thank you

Old 06-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My bet is on the multifunction switch. The hazard switch can make the blinkers run fast, but not display "high beam out".

Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM

One it sounds like there was someone that was trying to run a Daytime Running light bypass on a car that can't be bypassed with out a Kit.

From what your post states there is an issue with your headlights running all the time. This is something that happens when someone messes with the DRL Relay. This bypass without a Module as I will call it can be hacked and then you have issues as you describe relating to the headlights. One they come on with rest of lights coming on. This is Chevys way of always having lights on in the event that your headlight High beam was really out. The BCM turns on the normal beams and lights like it is night time.

So to find this fault, You may need a meter. However maybe you will get lucky and just find the fault.

First place to look is the DRL Relay. This relay you will want to pull out and check that pins 30 and 87 are intact. In most cases it would be Pin 87 that someone would clip because if it was 30 then your High beam under normal use would be really out lol.

Now if your DRL relay has Pin 87 intact look into the hole where the Pin is inserted into your Fuse box. IF you can see metal where it would make contact with that pin you will need to test that with a DVOM or some means for a ground. This PIN would be constant ground at all times. If there is no ground on that pin. SOmeone has taken the Fuse box apart and clipped the wire that is in the box. If I remember right it would be a green wire but not 100% sure atm.

About Fast flashing of your Blinkers, I don't think it is related to your Multiswitch. There is going to be a Ground issue at the lights or at the hazard/Flasher switch. This switch is a LOGIC board with 2 12v+ inputs from your fuse box one for hazards and one for blinkers. There is 1 Ground wire and then the input and outputs for them to work. There could also be an issue with ground there. It isn't like the past with a Can Flasher this is a Circuit inside that hazard switch that makes your blinkers work. If there is a fail of ground you can get strange hyper flash and it looks for ground though the circuit in other places.

Hope you find something helpful in this

Old 06-22-2017, 04:11 PM

So should I replace the hazord switch to fix the flashing blinker I checked the fuse was a little bit of a color change on pins for other then that look good An as for the highbeam out message the light are on an the day as soon as you drive I have to pull the dimmer light switch out to cut them off

Last edited by Keith89; 06-22-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM

@Keith89 It almost sounds like really there is a ground short in the front area of the car. After reading the whole message and then noticing that your message was on another OP. Sorry..

So before you go tossing parts at it, I would look over the grounds in the front of the car. Also make sure there is no issues with the wiring going in the lights housing. maybe unplug them and plug them back in a few times. Also again I can't stress it enough look over the ground from the lights to the body and make sure it is not just swinging around has a good contact to metal. Light tug on the wire by the ground connection will also confirm that it isn't broken inside but hanging around...

If your flasher wasn't working then I would say then yes replace the hazard switch however yours is working just fast so that tells me there is a bulb issue. Could be a bad bulb isn't getting good connection could be marker bulb not one of the back or front but maybe one of the sides.

Lastly if you changed out your Bulbs with LEDS then your car will be with issues for many reasons. main one is the BCM is looking for a Current and voltage drops that it knows should be there. Seeing the LEDs are lower Current demands this will make the car spaz out. or don't want to say WILL but CAN make it.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 PM

Okay thank you yeah I'll chang out the markers bulbs An where are the grounds for the head lights plus I'm going to test them all with my meter to but everything dose work fine except the damn head ran out bs An turning signals going super fast An my headlights come on as soon as I turn the car on I have to pull the dimmer switch out one time An keep it there for them to go off I'll check wires yeah I'm not trying to buy parts unless I need them can't wait to fix these so I know what was wrong with it thanks again an any other advice would be helpful this is the first time he owning a Chevy Monte Carlo thank you

Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 AM

I just checked I had the car in park An turned on the turning signals An they work like normal then I turned the dome light on an the turning signal start going fast as hell An I drove it then put it back in park An it still was fast as hell so what could that be