Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Had a little problem today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Had a little problem today...

I came out this morning from Army PT and tried to start the monte, to have nothing but battery power. I couldnt hear the starter roll-over, and after popping the hood I tried switching the relay for the air compress to the starter with no luck. I tried doing a reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and hooking it back up, with no avail. It just blinked "security". I gave up, borrowed a friends 94 trans am and when i came back to the monte about 30 minutes later to get my parking pass i tried it and started it right up! what could have happened? what can i do in the future?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Default RE: Had a little problem today...

I also had this problem when I first got my Monte my wife or I would be driving and sometimes the car would just stall or if we shut if off for a few minutes it would'nt start! (the last time I was at the gas station pumped my gas came out it would'nt start! ) a mechanic friend and I drove around for about 45 minutes one night with his analyzer hooked up trying to get the car to kill out , when it finally did of course it happend at the very moment he was resetting his computer so we couldn't get the code!, anyways we changd the crankshaft positioning sensor and the car only killed out once after that, the day the security light came on I turned the igniton off and pushed the alarm button a few times and the car started (right after I called my buddy for help!!), and I have'nt had a problem since and that's been about 4 months.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

PASSLOCK!!!! Been there, done that many times. Leave the key to the on position for 10 minutes untilit quits flashing security, then turn off key and start. I replaced my ignition/Passlock cylinder - hopefully that takes care of it. I was told that's the problem 98% of the time.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 AM

`Hi Becky, great answer from a great contributing member 4 Sure.
_________________________________-
`Mike, below is some additional information
[:-]
[align=center]
The computer checks for the current resistance every time you start the car... in other words... it resets itself everytime you turn the key on. If it still won't start the next time, its because it still isn't reading the correct resistance.
The only difference between the Passlock system and the older PassKey system is that the resistor is built into the ignition switch instead of the key. This way, any key that will turn the ignition will start the car (because turning to the on position lines up the resistor in the switch) but the car still cannot be hotwired. If one of the wires sending the resistance reading to the computer is pinched, severed or disconnected... or if the resistor in the ignition switch is worn, the computer cannot read the correct resistance and disable the starter and fuel injectors for 3-5 minutes. The resistor may just be dirty... buy "brake and electric motor cleaner" from NAPA and spray it in the keyhole & clean your ignition `key. If this doesn't work check the two small wires going to the switch in the steering column or you may need a new ignition switch. If the ignition switch is replaced, the cars computer will have to be set to the new resistance.
Good Luck from `Space
[/align]

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thanks for the help guys, its knowlege I should already know. Space, ill take a look into the cleaner. it cant hurt to try!