Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Gas Pedal sticks just the first time, after sitting. Carbon buildup??

Old 04-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Default Gas Pedal sticks just the first time, after sitting. Carbon buildup??

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie. I have a 2002 SS, The gas pedal sticks alittle, just in the morning, after sitting all night, Then its fine all day until the next morning. I took it to the dealer, they said it was carbon buildup on the throttle linkage. They wanted to charge me $125 to clean it. Everyone have this problem. Thanks for any help. Dave

Old 04-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Default RE: Gas Pedal sticks just the first time, after sitting. Carbon buildup??

I've heard of this problem a handfull of times. For $125, I would do it myself...

Welcome to the forum!!

Old 04-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Default RE: Gas Pedal sticks just the first time, after sitting. Carbon buildup??

How would I go about it, Using what cleaner. Or am I making a bigger project than it really is.
Thanks Dave

Old 04-16-2006, 05:14 PM

Well, I have not pulled my TB apart, YET, but I would start by removing the intake tube to see what you can get to there, worse case, you will have to remove your TB which should not be all the difficult, regular ole carb cleaner will do the trick in most cases. I'll hunt around for a how to for you.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 AM

i am 99% sure you can get at it without removing the TB. for best results yes pull the TB but you dont have to.

when i clean TB before i Port and polish them i use brake cleaner! it works wonders. but i wouldnt spray that into your intake if you leave the TB on. I say do this:

-remove the tube from the air box to theTB
-take tape and cover the MAF sensor or remove it out the top
-spray carb cleaner in TB with plate closed then open and spray again. let sit for a few min
-then take an old Tooth brush and with the plate open spray agian and scrub around the edges of the plate where the bar goes thru the wall of the TB.
-then take a rag and wipe the underside of the Throtle plate and remove the carbon on that.

i'd say depending on how much and how hard it is... it will take 30-45 min tops to clean
FYI with all that carb cleaner it might choke a bit on start up.

Lastly if there is enough carbon to freeze up the throtle plate, then you should clean out your vac lines. just pull them off the car and spray the carb or brake cleaner thru them let dry and put back on.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:18 PM

Thanks z34phoenix, I will try this weekend. What causes the carbon buildup.
Thanks
Dave

Old 04-23-2006, 08:11 PM

the carbon build up is caused by the egr system which is fed up behind the throttle body. Its easier to clean if off of intake but can be done still on car. Common problem. Clean with carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:52 PM

lol i mite just do the carb cleaner to clean it up to prevent that.. i was thinking of a bigger throttle body when i do the fenderwell intake but who knows...