Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

gas petal sticks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Question gas petal sticks

Hey everyone I've noticed ever since I bought this car my gas petal sticks in the am and when I get out of work...does this mean a sticky throttle body plate n could be causing my terrible gas mileage?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes your throttle body is probably completely caked with Carbon.

Time to take it off and clean that sucker. No that's probably not the cause for your bad gas mileage. You need to start with everything for gas mileage. Plugs, Wires, Filters, Etc.

I noticed when mine was sticking in the AM (you have to push really hard real fast and then it's fine) It looked like this when I replaced it for an HVTB

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Yes your throttle body is probably completely caked with Carbon.

Time to take it off and clean that sucker. No that's probably not the cause for your bad gas mileage. You need to start with everything for gas mileage. Plugs, Wires, Filters, Etc.

I noticed when mine was sticking in the AM (you have to push really hard real fast and then it's fine) It looked like this when I replaced it for an HVTB

I just has a major tune up 6 months ago n my mileage never got better.. I took her in the other day n they said its my bank 1 o2 sensor and my throttle body needs to be cleaned...so I replaced the o2 sensor but still not any better n ima clean the throttle body this weekend.. I'll keep you posted to see if it helps. Please prey I'm sick of my bad mileage. O by the way it looks like my throttle body gasket is starting to seperate from the manifold. Maybe that's the reason for my mileage being so bad

Old 07-15-2010, 10:00 AM

15 Year Member

Was your battery every disconnected for an hour to let the PCM go back into Relearn procedure after the O2 sensor was replaced??

Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Was your battery every disconnected for an hour to let the PCM go back into Relearn procedure after the O2 sensor was replaced??

No I didn't think I had to considering the engine light was never on in the 1st place.. I'll try that later today. But what do you mean procedure?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 AM

15 Year Member

Procedure is just terminology used.

Your PCM learns how much fuel to use and etc. And then uses those figures while you drive. When you change something you should always let it go back into the Relearn "Mode" so it goes back to the stock settings and then learns with the new things.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Procedure is just terminology used.

Your PCM learns how much fuel to use and etc. And then uses those figures while you drive. When you change something you should always let it go back into the Relearn "Mode" so it goes back to the stock settings and then learns with the new things.

So your basically saying the pcm thinks I never changed anything. Which one should I disconnect, the neg or positive or both...I jus wanna do this right

Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM

15 Year Member

Neg for an hour.

I'm not saying this is going to magically fix your problem, but it's worth a try.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM

I'll give it a try later...want to know my outcome? If so I'll keep you imformed

Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM

15 Year Member

Always nice to keep us informed

Quick Reply: gas petal sticks