Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3rd Gen ('78-'80): Fuel Tank replacement Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Default Fuel Tank replacement Suggestions

I purchased a fuel tank for my 1980 Monte Carlo from Quanta back in 2010. I installed the tank just last year after the car turned into a major restoration. Since then, every time I fuel up at the gas station I get large amounts of fuel spraying back out of the fuel neck. The fuel pump nozzle will not shut off automatically. I have learned that there is a common problem with aftermarket fuel tanks and a bad filler neck design. I would like some advice on an aftermarket fuel tank with great reviews and no more spewing fuel during filling. I was leading towards a tank from Napa. Never had issues with products from Napa, but then again I never purchased a tank from Napa. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-15-2017, 12:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unfortunately, I am not too versed in this problem. My gut says it's a pressure/venting issue. Perhaps the aftermarket tank does not adjust/balance the pressure in the fill neck properly, another words the nozzle at the gas station can pump gas faster then the fill neck can keep the path clear?

I am sure if this is a common issue, there are others with earlier gen Montes that have input on this.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Everything in the fuel system is new. The evap purge system doesn't even run up to the canister, it just opens up right about the gas tank. Everything I read and research I did points to the filler neck design. Looking for a brand or design that someone had tried with no problems. It had to be an after market design since I never had issues with old tank, which I transfered to another gbody vehicle.