Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:16 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8

Recently had new charcoal canister replaced but my gas meter still fluctuates up and down after driving a certain distance affecting gas mileage, any thoughts on this?? Also my a/c only came on on 5 none of the other notches worked under 5 but as of now nothing happens when I try to turn on a/c, where should I start first?? Lastly, I've been noticing my blinkers sometimes won't work after driving for some time I have to try and get them to work by pressing hazards on/off while trying turn signals, any solutions?? Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you say "gas meter" do you mean the mpg reading on the DIC (Driver Information Center) above the inside mirror? if you do, it's normal for the mpg to fluctuate as you accelerate or decelerate.

Before you replaced the charcoal canister were you having problems filling the tank (pump nozzle constantly shuts off when you try to fill?).

The A/C problem is likely a bad blower motor resistor.
How to video:

The blinker problem is a bad hazard switch.
How to video:

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by plumbob; 07-15-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:26 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
When you say "gas meter" do you mean the mpg reading on the DIC (Driver Information Center) above the inside mirror? if you do, it's normal for the mpg to fluctuate as you accelerate or decelerate.

Before you replaced the charcoal canister were you having problems filling the tank (pump nozzle constantly shuts off when you try to fill?).

The A/C problem is likely a bad blower motor resistor.
How to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5UuO89CFJI

The blinker problem is a bad hazard switch.
How to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcFeoeWenyU

Please keep us posted.
Yes the mpg gauge on the DIC and then the odometer on the dash sometimes goes up and down, normally after I put the car in park.

Yes I was having problems filling my tank and in fact gas sometimes spilled out front EVAP vent as if pressure was built up not allowing it to go down properly.

As for the a/c should I go get the blower motor resistor first?

So buying a new hazard switch should solve my problems.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like either an electrical problem or EVAP system blockage is causing the DIC mpg to fluctuate, but I can't imagine how that would effect the odometer. That might be a separate problem.
Difficulty filling is a typical symptom of a clogged charcoal canister. Could be that charcoal pellets spilled in the EVAP lines causing a blockage in one of the lines or the EVAP vent valve, or a failing fuel pressure sensor causing the DIC mpg to fluctuate.
You should get checked for codes. The big chain auto part stores will do it free.

Yes, I would replace the blower motor resistor.

Yes, the hazard switch should resolve the blinker problem.