Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel rails and UIM

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fuel rails and UIM

Are the series 2 and 3 superchaged 3800 fuel rails and fuel injectors interchangeable??

AND are the series 2 and 3 non supercharged upper intake manifold (plenum) interchangeable???

Old 05-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Are the series 2 and 3 superchaged 3800 fuel rails and fuel injectors interchangeable??
The rail will not work on an l36 car. The L26 is returnless fuel so there is no regulator or return fitting on the rail.

I've never really messed with L26 injectors, no idea what the flow rate is. I'd doubt it's an upgrade in any way though. Im also pretty sure they'll have a different shape plug. They make adapters to fix that, but the cost of adapters is going to make it far more cost effective to buy the right injectors.

AND are the series 2 and 3 non supercharged upper intake manifold (plenum) interchangeable???
Yes, but it's not a plug and play. Lots of turbo guys do it. It's been awhile since I messed with one, but below is what I remember needing to be done:
-you definitely need a TB adapter as you can't use the s3 TB and they don't bolt up the same. Zzp carries them.
-I remember having to block off a port or two on the new uim, nothing crazy though.
-I could've swore I had to do some modification to make the egr work properly, but it has been awhile.
-the TB mount spot is a bit different- it sticks further out towards the drivers side, so if you've got a very tight/rigid intake setup, you may need to mod your tubing a bit to accommodate

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-09-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

You can put an aluminum L26 UIM on a L36. I actually did it. Here's a large write up I did with pics:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...c-heavy-48949/

Some quick "need to know":
- You need a throttle body adapter (ZZP sells one and I believe someone on eBay also does).
- You will need to plug a port on the side of the UIM snout.
- You need to solve how to work the PCV system (my write up shows my solution).
- The snout moves the throttle body a couple inches forward. As a result you either need to drill/tap and add a fitting for a couple of vac lines (and plug the ports on the throttle body) OR extend those vac lines.
- What I don't know (because I have a CAI) is if the original air box and ducting will work with the new throttle body location.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
The rail will not work on an l36 car. The L26 is returnless fuel so there is no regulator or return fitting on the rail.

I've never really messed with L26 injectors, no idea what the flow rate is. I'd doubt it's an upgrade in any way though. Im also pretty sure they'll have a different shape plug. They make adapters to fix that, but the cost of adapters is going to make it far more cost effective to buy the right injectors.

Yes, but it's not a plug and play. Lots of turbo guys do it. It's been awhile since I messed with one, but below is what I remember needing to be done:
-you definitely need a TB adapter as you can't use the s3 TB and they don't bolt up the same. Zzp carries them.
-I remember having to block off a port or two on the new uim, nothing crazy though.
-I could've swore I had to do some modification to make the egr work properly, but it has been awhile.
-the TB mount spot is a bit different- it sticks further out towards the drivers side, so if you've got a very tight/rigid intake setup, you may need to mod your tubing a bit to accommodate
I think i may have confused you..

Here is exactly what im wanting to do..

Take the supercharger and fuel rails off a series 3 supercharged 3800 and put it on my 05 monte with the series 2 supercharged 38..

Actually, since I have access to several of the series 3 supercharged and NA, what could I swap for each..

ATM I have one of each -series 2 3800 NA and series 2 3800 superchaged

Old 05-10-2018, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You can put an aluminum L26 UIM on a L36. I actually did it. Here's a large write up I did with pics:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...c-heavy-48949/

Some quick "need to know":
- You need a throttle body adapter (ZZP sells one and I believe someone on eBay also does).
- You will need to plug a port on the side of the UIM snout.
- You need to solve how to work the PCV system (my write up shows my solution).
- The snout moves the throttle body a couple inches forward. As a result you either need to drill/tap and add a fitting for a couple of vac lines (and plug the ports on the throttle body) OR extend those vac lines.
- What I don't know (because I have a CAI) is if the original air box and ducting will work with the new throttle body location.
Thank you man, this is awesome.. The whole idea of messing with the NA setup is basically just to make it pretty under the hood.. Saw a few of the metal intakes yesterday and have already started pulling parts//

Old 05-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Shined up, the L26 UIM looks pretty nice instead of the black plastic intake.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 PM

I think i may have confused you..

Here is exactly what im wanting to do..

Take the supercharger and fuel rails off a series 3 supercharged 3800 and put it on my 05 monte with the series 2 supercharged 38..

Actually, since I have access to several of the series 3 supercharged and NA, what could I swap for each..

ATM I have one of each -series 2 3800 NA and series 2 3800 superchaged

Now I see. You were talking about SC in the first half and NA in the second.

The response is still the same for an L32 to L67. The injectors and rails don't swap over. The rail is still just a single fitting, there is no return. The L32 injectors aren't worth messing with either. I thought I heard they were slightly lower flow than L67, and regardless they likely have different plugs anyways.

There really isn't anything better about the S3 to swap other than that g5 blower and maybe the L26 UIM if you like the look.

One option if you've got access to all of that would be to top swap your S2 NA engine with a blower instead. Should be fairly cheap to do.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member

So would my current fuel rails fit over the gen 5 blower?? That sucks I really like the look of them newer ones and ZZP's "fuel log" is just too damn much..

Old 05-11-2018, 12:54 PM

So would my current fuel rails fit over the gen 5 blower?? That sucks I really like the look of them newer ones and ZZP's "fuel log" is just too damn much..
Yes, l67 rails work assuming you don't make any other changes (ie add an IC or spacer) at the same time.

If you were dead set on L32 rails for some reason, they could certainly be made to work with modification, but it's not worth the hassle IMO.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Yes, l67 rails work assuming you don't make any other changes (ie add an IC or spacer) at the same time.

If you were dead set on L32 rails for some reason, they could certainly be made to work with modification, but it's not worth the hassle IMO.
Yea looks like im gonna have to go with that fuel log deal they charge and arm and half you leg for.. Got the supercharger pulled tho..