Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel pump removal

Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Default Fuel pump removal

Hello, I'm new to this forum ITS AMAZING! I just bought a 2000 MCSS for my son and it's gas guage floats from empty to full and back...like watching a ping pong match! I have searched on here and discovered it should have an access door so i can get at the pump/sending unit (hurray my 91 Camaro did not).
My question is, what tools do i need to get it out.
Im on a business trip and found a bone yard that my have a 2001 in it but the only tools i have with me are medium size screw drivers and some pliers.
Thanks in advance !!!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Sorry I can't answer your question, but welcome and someone should be by soon with an answer.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM

wouldnt this solve your problem because i dont think its your fuel pump unless he's having gas trouble. https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=12319

Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Default sending unit

There is plenty on this forum about that particular problem. My suggestion is to either run a tank of Mobile gas with with Dextron 11 or buy an additive at an auto store. If that doesn't clean the varnish, etc. from the sending unit, only THEN would I suggest replacing the sending unit.

You'd be surprised how many people replace fuel pump sending units and even the fuel pump itself when $2 might fix the problem. After spending bigger bucks to install a new one, surprise! It works!

Naturally it works. The new unit isn't fouled.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:02 PM

P.S.

Here is a bit more of the same that I quote from one of my previous posts regarding that problem:

The contacts on the sending unit are typically plated with silver-palladium to resist corrosion. But over time, residual sulfur in gasoline can corrode the contacts causing the gauge to vacillate erratically or not at all. Replacing the sending unit is an expensive job because you have to drop the fuel tank unless you have trunk access, so a more affordable alternative is to simply add a bottle of additive to the tank.

I quote from an article I read concerning cheap gas: "Depending on who you talk to, it is suggested that starting around 2001 refiners have been reducing the use of detergent-dispersants by 40%-66%, that's up to a 2/3 reduction. This was made worse by additional reductions allowed and encouraged by the EPA in the wake of the 2005 hurricane season to alleviate spot shortages caused by the damage these storms did to our overall refining capacity. These reductions in the additive level and octane rating may save the refiners money and possibly increased supply, however it causes many engine problems, raises emissions, and lowers mileage for the users of their fuel."

As I posted earlier in that thread, three mechanics suggested that I needed to replace my sending unit. OF COURSE that would solve the problem. It would also solve the problem of a bad EGR if one replaced the entire engine.

Within that same thread are instructions as to how to attack the problem from the trunk access if the additives end up not solving the problem.
Edit/Delete Message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 PM

Thanks for all the input..off to AutoZone i go for a bottle of Chevron fuel system cleaner...I hope that does the trick...
I just found out i need $1200 of trany work. I hope this beautiful Victory Red bombshell of an SS isnt a lemon. Transmission guy said these Transmissions are notorius for problems and mine needs "updates"...oh well.
Any advice or comments?

PS its a 2000 SS/3800/126k

Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ronnie Shephard
Transmission guy said these Transmissions are notorius for problems and mine needs "updates"...oh well.
Any advice or comments?
It's a 4t65e transmission. They are VERY abundant, if you don't want to rebuild, you can easily buy another one for about $500