Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Fuel Injector

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Default Fuel Injector

I believe that my fuel injectors might need to be replace. The symptoms include it idles too high. strong smell of gas when its running. and it stalls when i start it sometimes. the acceleration is bad also

Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by davidgosnell
I believe that my fuel injectors might need to be replace. The symptoms include it idles too high. strong smell of gas when its running. and it stalls when i start it sometimes. the acceleration is bad also
May very well just be your fuel pressure regulator. They will produce a lot of fuel smells.

Remove the vacuum hose that attaches to the fuel pressure regulator, making sure the engine isn't running. If gas is in the line, your fuel pressure regulator is bad. Also, if there is none in the line, but, when you turn the switch on, fuel drips out of the hose, it is bad.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
May very well just be your fuel pressure regulator. They will produce a lot of fuel smells.

Remove the vacuum hose that attaches to the fuel pressure regulator, making sure the engine isn't running. If gas is in the line, your fuel pressure regulator is bad. Also, if there is none in the line, but, when you turn the switch on, fuel drips out of the hose, it is bad.
I agree with Zippy. FP regulators are probably the most common cause of fuel leaks/smells, especially on the 3.4L's.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I honestly never had a FPR fail on a 3100 or 3400. But my experience says a strong smell of gas can also be a sign of a leak. I would start with validating you have no leak. If you do, depending how bad, that could be causing all kinds of weird issues.