Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel gauge and fill prob PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Default Fuel gauge and fill prob PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. FOr about a year the gas gauge has been messed up. At first it would jump around all the time so I had no idea how much gas I really had. FOr the last few months it has just been sitting on full and Ive been having to track my mileage to tell how much gas I truely have (my electronic unit on the roof also goes with whatever the gas gauge is reading). Also, a new problem just developed, for the last few weeks my car has only been letting me put in 10 dollars or so at a time. The gas pump will stop and then when I try to start it back up, gas will start spilling out of the tank as if it is full, and I know FOR A FACT there is no possible way it could be full. Please help!! Love my car so much, but this has been driving me crazy, I drive 60 miles a day and really cant deal with the gas tank not filling up. Thank you!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The gas gauge problem is just your fuel level sending unit most likely. Pretty common, mine has been shot for like 2 years now and I just use the tripometer.

The gas tank might have a problem with the vent, it might not be getting the air out properly while filling up

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM

I just tackeled this problem with my MC and it was the fuel level sensor. Make sure your in a ventilated area due to the gas fumes. Before starting pull the fuel pump relay/fuse from under the hood and try to crank it for like 10 seconds to relieve the pressure or you will get gas all over you like I did lol. It has an access panel in the trunk under the carpet. There are some screw holder things that you unfasten and pry the plate off and you should see the top of the fuel pump. Take off the 3 lines, be careful there might still be a small amount of gas left, and there is a black thing you have to turn and take off. after removing that you can wiggle out the fuel pump, have some towels ready. After its out remove the two connectors and the sensor and put in the new one and put it all back in. I know there is a detailed diagram somewhere on here that I followed but I was bored and posted some steps I cant stress enough that you need to relieve the fuel pump pressure by pulling that fuse, I had gas sprayed all over my body and in my eyes and flushing your eyes for 15 minutes is no fun also had it all over my trunk and I had to literally clean the metal under the carpet and shampoo the carpet because of the fumes.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Thank you guys so much for the help. Druben...was that solution to fix th gas gauge or my fill problem?

Old 06-10-2022, 06:38 AM
Default I have this exact issue myself and I hate it.

Originally Posted by reesgriff
I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. FOr about a year the gas gauge has been messed up. At first it would jump around all the time so I had no idea how much gas I really had. FOr the last few months it has just been sitting on full and Ive been having to track my mileage to tell how much gas I truely have (my electronic unit on the roof also goes with whatever the gas gauge is reading). Also, a new problem just developed, for the last few weeks my car has only been letting me put in 10 dollars or so at a time. The gas pump will stop and then when I try to start it back up, gas will start spilling out of the tank as if it is full, and I know FOR A FACT there is no possible way it could be full. Please help!! Love my car so much, but this has been driving me crazy, I drive 60 miles a day and really cant deal with the gas tank not filling up. Thank you!
I gotta know how to fix this same problem. It's driving me insane because I can't even watch my mileage anymore. Both things are messed up and my mileage isn't lighting up anymore. That was a gradual thing. Sometimes it lit up when I pushed the **** and sometimes it didn't but it stopped completely a while ago. I can never get more than 26.00 in my tank and I have to wait to get that to go. I can't stand it but my car is my baby. I love my SS. I need help too. Big time. Any help would be great. P.S. I can't believe my issue is an exact mirror of yours and my car is the exact same year. I wonder if they should recall a part on this???

Last edited by rain7670; 06-10-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:05 AM

The gas pump shutting off is usually from a bad evap purge solenoid, easy fix.

The dim mileage can be fixed one of two ways. Re-solder a new display in the gauge cluster or replace the cluster as a whole.

The gauges in all these cars (00-05) go bad due to the poor quality stepper motors they used which is what I thought your problem was at first BUT if the gauge reading correlates with the overhead display then its probably the sending unit going bad. I think that might be part of the fuel pump.

Aaaaaaand after I wrote all that I decided to go up and read the rest of the replies.