Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

01 cranks won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Default 01 cranks won't start

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS. It's been working well for a while now. I got in to go home from work, and the car cranks and cranks. It will not start. Once I looked at the information center, it states the car is out of gas. There is no way. this morning when I drove it to work I had 3/4 tank left. I don't live in an area that is subjected to vandilizm, so I doubt it was someone cyphoned out the gas. And I did not see a large oily puddle around the car at any time today. I checked all the fuses that pertain to the fuel system. They are all unblown. I also disconnected the battery for a minute, to no avail.

If anyone has ANY Ideas, I would greatly appriciate it.

Matt|ttaM

Old 06-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Default RE: 01 cranks won't start

Some one has to have some troubleshooting ideas. Please help a fellow MCer out!

Matt|ttaM

Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 PM

Hey Matt,

What does your fuel gauge read?

I don't live in an area that is subjected to vandilizm, so I doubt it was someone cyphoned out the gas.
I would follow up on the warning signs first. If it tells you it's out of gas, prove it wrong. With gas the way it is today, no one is safe! Now days the ole rubber hose and a mouth full of gas is long gone, they now punch a hole in your fuel tank attached to another tank and they are off quicker than before.

Next, if in fact you have plenty of fuel, I would suggest it's computer related.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the reply!

The gas gauge reads that it is empty. Below empty infact. However the gauge will rocket to full briefly durning the cranking process. (I think after i let go of the key.) I am going to add some gas to it and try that. I will let you know.

Matt|ttaM

Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Before you do add fuel, check the tank to make sure there are no holes or rips in it.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 PM

I put in a gallon of gas, and I still have the same problem. Cranks and no start.

Matt|ttaM

Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 PM

The gas tank is also intact. There are no drips or anything of the sort.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:37 PM

It may just be that your pump and/or sending unit is dead. Has the car ever made a humming noise before turning the ignition over? You will need to check to see if your getting fuel pressure to the fuel rail by disconnecting the fuel line from the rail and installing a fuel pressure gauge. I am not sure what the PSI is on our cars but can find out pretty quickly... Anyone know off hand??

Keep in mind, the fuel pump assembly is in the fuel tank and of course is quite expensive.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:54 PM

That is what i am starting to think. I am getting it towed to a midas nearby, I should know how much soon. Any Ideas on how much to expect if it is the sending unit?

Matt|ttaM

Old 06-28-2006, 06:57 PM

No the car has never made a humming noise. The car was fine on the way into work yesterday. Just when I got in to drive it home, this problem arised.

Matt|ttaM

Quick Reply: 01 cranks won't start