Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fuel Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Default Fuel Filters?

I've been told by several people work in the parts store that the fuel filters really have no difference in each other, and are all based on name. Is this true?

Any thoughts?
P.S. t's for a 2004 MC SS
thanks.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go with a brand that makes good oil filters too, therefore I would think their fuel filter was decent as well. Wix, Napa, etc. would probably be the brands I looked for when purchasing a fuel filter.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:09 AM

An ACdelco is stainless steel inside and out and it's oe. It's probably the best fuel filter you can buy. I think it's around $9 which is very reasonable for something you need to change once a year or a little longer. You need a 20mm and a 16mm to loosen the outlet end and it's a quick connect on the inlet

Old 04-02-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
An ACdelco is stainless steel inside and out and it's oe. It's probably the best fuel filter you can buy. I think it's around $9 which is very reasonable for something you need to change once a year or a little longer. You need a 20mm and a 16mm to loosen the outlet end and it's a quick connect on the inlet
I've never done one of these, or actually looked at one. Do you need to somehow stop fuel from flowing through the line before replacing one to prevent fuel from spilling? Only fuel filters I've ever changed are on small tractor engines, and generally on those you just try to do them quick so you minimize the amount of fuel that spills!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 PM

You relieve the pressure up front at the fuel rail (unscrew the plastic cap- and press the center valve in- like a tire valve stem, while holding a rag around it). That will get rid of the 40+ pounds of pressure, but there obviously will still be fuel in it.

All of the fuel in the lines will drain out when you change the filter- there isn't a whole lot you can do about that. Its not going to drain the tank or anything- as long as the fuel pump is off- the fuel in the tank will stay there.

Still not a bad idea to have a can or something for the gas to drain into. I usually undo the quick disconnect end first since its easier to drain that way.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:16 PM

If you are concerned about fuel spillage a drain pan for oil under the filter is good idea. And to relive the pressure you can do it on test port shcrade or just pull the fuel pump relay out while the car is running. The injectors will still open and bleed off the pressure that way. Doesn't matter which side you dissconect first, I usully do the threaded end first personally.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Default fule filter.......

...I recently changed the Fuel Filter on my S-10 but the procedure
is pretty much the same. However , a co-worker who is a gearhead
suggested that I simply open up the gas lid and that this would relieve
some pressure. It did. And then I loosend the toward the
engine first and the other end last. I placed a plastic tub under
neath and some gas did come out but not alot. A little tough but
a easy chore. Truck runs fine now. I bought a WIX filter.