Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Front part of dash 04 Monte...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Front part of dash 04 Monte...

Well we got the car back on Tuesday the 14th. It has been sitting out in the sun since, with no warpage to date. The dealer replaced both the Dash Pad and the Filler panel (part that was warping). We will see how long it last this time. I am not completely satisfied with new dash...both corners near the front window are up higher than usual. Or it at least looks that way to me. But if having the corners up will keep it from warping, then I can live with that.

Sorry of taking so long to update the status, but we left for Florida early on the 15th and just got back. While I was in Florida I looked a Monte that was in the parking lot of the hotel...It was white with the black interior. The dash on this vehicle was also coming up, it was up enought to probably stick a pencil through it. I was not able to talk to the owner to see if it was a on-going problem. I also looked at a friends Monte over the weekend, their dash is starting warp, but not bad enought to take it to the shop for...the filler panel is only even with the dash pad at the worst spot. I am wondering if this is starting to turn into a more wide spread problem???

If the dash starts this again, I think we are going to start pressuring on them for the lemon law. I have not mentioned the lemon law to the dealer yet.

Thanks,

Old 07-06-2005, 01:49 AM

well i can now change from not a problem to having the problem, not in the same place mine
is seperating on the passenger side just below the "air bag" logo and the glovebox
taking to dealer 7/6 i'm going out of town on the 8th so if they have to order a part it dhould be in by the time i get back, i also want to know if it's safe to drive on a trip being it's comming apart
under the airbag.[:@]

Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Ahhhh man, what is it with these dash parts.. Can you post a pic of it??

Thanks
TVW

Old 07-06-2005, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: montejass

Ahhhh man, what is it with these dash parts.. Can you post a pic of it??

Thanks
TVW
the only way i can post a pic is on the web page with the others, i took it to the dealer
today to make sure it was safe to take on a long trip without the airbag going off,
the tech superviser said it would be safe to drive, and that he would order the part
have it ready when i get back,he said this was a common problem for the 05 monty
and the malibu,it's a piece of foam and glue that holds the two pieces of the dash together
also said that he would order the new strip and if that doesn't work,he would order
the new dash.if you will look at the airbag logo it's the line under that it,i can put a flash light
behind it though the glove box and see light comming though.i just hope the first fix does
the trick, i hate to think of them putting in a whole new dash.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:30 AM

i haven't been on for awhile but i think this was discussed a few month's ago

Old 07-15-2006, 06:48 PM

Hey guys... i noticed today my dash is also warping. one simple thing to fix it. i cranked the a/c and put it onto to front defroster. only took a few min then it was magically back to normal. have you tried this? that black pannel is very hot in the sun, didnt suprise me that mine warped.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:37 PM

Now that you mention it, I just noticed mine this week doing this. I'll try the cool down method prescribed...

Old 07-16-2006, 02:10 AM

let us know if it worked... but it will only last untill it gets very hot again. but atleast the warping isnt permanate.... i hope.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:22 AM

GM is aware of the concern.

Document ID# 1684792
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: IP Top Pad to Trim Plate Gap - keywords dash fit instrument panel #PIC3009B - (07/18/2005)

Models: 2002-2005 Chevrolet Impala

2002-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A gap condition may exist between the Upper I/P pad to I/P trim plate, which may be objectionable to a customer. I/P pads reviewed at the Warranty Parts Center indicate that the Upper I/P pad is being replaced needlessly to correct this condition.

Recommendation/Instructions:
It is possible to correct or improve the appearance of the upper I/P pad by loosening the attachment screws at or near the area of the gap and retighten while firmly holding the Upper I/P Pad down, closing the area of the gap.

If there is not enough adjustment to eliminate the gap then use the following procedure: Remove dash trim plate. Remove the 4 screws attaching the upper trim plate to carrier. Raise and support upper plate about 2" in center. On both center mountings, grind access plastic material from sides of mounting stops. Oblong holes in dash carrier. This will allow at least 1/4" movement in upper plate to fit trim plate.

Repositioning the I/P Upper Pad in this fashion should eliminate the gap condition, without requiring the replacement of the I/P Pad.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1684792
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Old 07-16-2006, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info NYCRISS....

Were there any supportive illustrations with this one? Is this considered a TSB or info only?

Quick Reply: Front part of dash 04 Monte...