Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fixing up my 03 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 08:19 AM
1 Year Member
Default Fixing up my 03 Monte

So I want to fix up my 03 monte, and I need some advice because I want to do some of the stuff myself. I've had so much mechanical work done to it, close to $10k worth if not that or slightly over. just this month i've had 2 new wheel bearings put on. But anyways. the paint is peeling in some spots, so I wanted to respray it but im not sure if it's something i can do myself or if i should just shell out a couple thousand to have a shop do it.

But want I plan on doing is replacing the instrument cluster, the HVAC and radio assemblies with new ones since the bulbs are burning out one by one and its only a matter of time before they all do so I might as well do it now. I read these things are plug and play, and they pre program the instrument cluster before sending it. My only knowledge of how to replace this stuff comes from youtube video showing me how to do it. I will be replacing the dash trim as well.

I also want to replace the carpet in the cabin and trunk, and I want to buy pre molded carpet and install it to make my life easier. I also want to get all the rust scraped off the bottom and having a coating put on it to protect it and was thinking of having a shop do all that but I was told that that can actually make it rust worse later down the line? is that true?

I looked underneath it and from what i can see, its kind of rusty, but it looks like surface rust, but im not sure. I dont know if this can be scraped off or if the frame is compromised, im just not sure.

Any recommendations to where i can get the parts i need would be appreciated, preferably online so i can just order it.

I've put a lot of money into this thing but it has sentimental value to me, it was my first car, and my dad gave it to me. He committed suicide last month and I want to keep it, in his memory. On top of that, I really just love the car, its fun to drive and the transmission and engine still seem like they have tons of life left in them, I've not had any issue with either of them and honestly i would pay to have them rebuilt if necessary but the car only has exactly 103600 miles on it as of me checking it just now, so its got plenty of life in it and i think that its worth keeping.

My biggest concern is rust though. Even if i pay to have a shop take off all the rust on the undercarriage, there's still a little bit of rust in the engine bay in certain spots like under the headlight assembly and battery holder, so what kind of tools do i need to get rid of that? and what kind of paint do i need to buy to make sure its protected? I was thinking about buying paint from here:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

It seems like a good place to buy from and i actually ordered from there before.

I was going to buy the instrument cluster from here:

https://issautomotive.com/products/0...31708786819168

And go to Ziebarts for rust removal and get it sprayed.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 12-31-2021, 08:49 AM

Thats a bit of rust but doesnt look like it affects anything structurally. We would need some more pictures to say for sure. Rust removal sucks but its easy, just time consuming. The thing about it tho, is disassembly of so much is needed to do it properly. Then itd be wise to replace any bushings while youre under there. Just need a bunch of different size wire wheels for the actual removing of the rust.

If you can settle for a used cluster, heres a pretty good deal. Miles are close. You can use the SS cluster but I think the oil gauge wont work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/37378855817...oAAOSwp5hhjZdo

Body paint is quite difficult and patching is even harder. It takes a ton of experience to make it look original.

Others here probably can suggest some rust inhibiting/preventing paint that works well. Ive just used the cheap dupicolor primer and paint.

EDIT: Be sure to wear a mask if you do the rust yourself.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Replacing the radio, HVAC and cluster due to bad bulbs? There are how-to guides here and all over the internet on how to service those if you can use a soldering iron. Or send them out to places that fix them. If you did the cluster, I would also consider replacing the stepper motors.

Before you go investing more money into the car, what are you ultimately trying to accomplish? Are you trying to fully restore the car and make it a summer toy? Are you trying to make it a lasting daily driver? Things to keep in mind, these cars are to an age where a lot of dealer only parts are rare to find these days. So if this is going to still be a daily driver, you might become frustrated in some of the journey to restore it. Plus the value is not totally there. As for the under body rust on the underside, my advice, get a product called POR15, clean up the rust and loose debris as best you can with wire brushes and wire wheels, follow the POR15 system (you can brush paint the POR15 on). This is DIY is probably your cheapest solution. BUT, keep in mind, things like the rocker panels tend to rot from the inside out. The lower parts of the fenders tend to rot out.

I love a nice daily driver, but determine your balance of what you are willing to put into a car that you will never get the money out of if it was sold or totaled (another words, what every you elect to do is all a labor of love and what YOU want).

I hope that makes sense.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:09 AM
1 Year Member

Unfortunately I dont know how to use a soldering iron. I would like to make it a lasting daily driver yes. I cant afford a car payment, so paying to fix it here and there works best for me. The car has a lot of sentimental value to me, with it being my first car, and my dad giving it to me, and him being gone now and all that. On top of that I just love it and love driving it so I want to keep it. I'm not really worried about getting OEM parts, I just want to make it look nice and new again, something I can maintain and take pride in. I'm also not concerned with putting more into it than its worth. I'd like to keep this car as long as I can, even if im still driving it 30 years from now. when i get it fixed up i'll just baby it and keep on top of everything.

I found some of that POR15 on amazon, and I will order that. Im not sure what I will do about removing rust from the under carriage, i might have a shop do it and then apply a protective coating. I can do the engine bay stuff myself. The estimate Ziebarts gave me was $720 for undercarriage rust removal and the protective coating. By the time I buy steel ramps and chocks and a sander and protective equipment, its going to approach that price so i might as well have professionals do it. Im also scared to get under the car.

I will get some more pictures of the under carriage later on.

Last edited by ChayHAwk; 12-31-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:18 AM
1 Year Member

More pictures of the undercarriage. and some rust damage in the wheel wells and other areas. The joys of having an $800 4k camera haha. It honestly doesnt look too bad under there, at least in most spots.

Last edited by ChayHAwk; 12-31-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:24 AM
1 Year Member

Hopefully none of this is too bad. I'll have to figure out how to take the rocker panels off and check under there and hopefully im not horrified.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:21 PM

It doesnt look that bad. I doubt anything structurally is unsafe. BUT, that is a TON of repair work for those spots around the fender and headlight to do it correctly. Bondo might be an option but I dont know how you feel about that. It certainly would be much cheaper but still not "cheap".

Im concerned with what you might find around the gas filler in the rear fender. Those tend to rot real bad from the inside out.

Another thing I noticed is you have some lines (not sure if fuel or brakes) under there that are not looking the best. I would have those examined before anything.

Honestly would be a very tough call for me. I know it holds the sentimental value for you and you said youve put a ton of money into it already. Its going to cost an arm and a leg more to do everything you want if you have someone else do it.

I keep going back up to those pictures... Some of the rust isnt bad but then some of it stands out and makes me cringe at the thought of repair. I dont know, just throwing my thoughts out here...

Old 12-31-2021, 12:33 PM

Curious, where you from?

Old 12-31-2021, 12:36 PM
1 Year Member

Would I be able to just sand and grind down the spots near the headlight and fender? At least if i can scrape all the rust off I can put something on it to protect it from further damage until i can get it painted. as for the rusted lines, I remember Belle Tire telling me the brake lines are rusted so I believe thats what those are, they said it would be $500 to fix. Those are on my to do list. I can do the interior work replacing the carpet and instrument cluster, but im more concerned with the mechanical stuff and rust issue right now since thats more important than making it look pretty. I think I have most of the major mechanical issues fixed though, at least for now.

I wil;l upload some pictures of the gas filler here soon

I appreciate all the advice.

Last edited by ChayHAwk; 12-31-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:55 PM
1 Year Member

Im from lansing Michigan

Quick Reply: Fixing up my 03 Monte