Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Fixed some common problems today, Fuel sending unit and Hazzard Swith replacement

Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fixed some common problems today, Fuel sending unit and Hazzard Swith replacement

So, I bought a Honda Ridgeline about a month ago, it is a great little truck, I've been mainly driving it and the MC has been sitting.
Now that we are going into winter my wife is going to park her convertible and drive the MC. First day she called and said what is the deal with the turn signal, I said if they stop you need to quick hit the hazzards to get them to come back. Then she asked what is going one with the fuel guage, I said it was broken and I've been driving by the odometer.
So this weekend I replace the hazzard switch, $24 and about 30 minutes and done. It sounds different now, a lower click click when the turn signal is on, I wonder how long this one will last.
I also replaced the fuel sending unit, also about $24 from Rock Auto, but took more than 30 minutes. Not a fun job for sure, my first time doing one, and I hate the smell of gas, but it is done, hope this one last more than 75K like the first one, but I doubt it.
I also washed and waxed it to prepare it for the Winter, it look so nice sitting in the garage.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

On the plus side, these cars don't require dropping the tank to get to the stuff (like pump and sending unit) in the tank. Hopefully you found the access panel to the tank handy.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member

Access panel was nice, it could have been a little bigger, the retaining ring wouldn't fit thru the hole while on the pump, but for sure better than dropping the tank. Honestly, we would have lived without a fuel guage if I had to drop the tank to replace the fuel sending unit.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 AM

How difficult was it to replace the Hazard Light Switch (HLS) and where did you find a diagram for where the snap-points are on the dash bezel?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I still live without a fuel gauge just because I'm lazy :p

Good job on the work

Old 11-18-2011, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jcoeracing97
How difficult was it to replace the Hazard Light Switch (HLS) and where did you find a diagram for where the snap-points are on the dash bezel?
The Switch was very easy, I watched video on youtube made by another MCF member [trwyne? I know that is not right, but I know it if I saw it] see the link below it took all the guess work out.

How to Remove a 00-05 Monte Carlo Dash-red04montels-HD - YouTube

I bought the switch of Ebay.

I lived with the turn signal problem for about a year, the fuel guage had only been acting up for about 3 months, but my wife is driving it this winter while her convertible sits in the garage, and plans are for my son to drive this when he turns 16 so I was going to fix them at some point in time.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 AM

Watched the video and it helped alot. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 AM

FYI: guys, i just got back from removing all the lining in my trunk to replace my fuel sending unit and i found out that not all MC's have the access panel. In place there were a few bumps in the sheet metal between the spare tire and the back seat. IT looks like something is supposed to be there but its all a solid piece of sheet metal. In addition ive noticed that most montecarlos have DRLs on the high beams. Mine are not on the high beams but they are on the low beams.
So: im going to conclude that if your DRLs are on the low beams like mine, then your vehicle does not have the access panel.

I know the 2 things dont have anything to do with each other, but this seems to identify where the car was put together.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah either in 2004/2005 they made the switch to the low beams for the DRLs