Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): A Few Different Issues - 2000 SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Angry A Few Different Issues - 2000 SS

Hi,

I am having a few seemingly unrelated problems and need some help.

The first issue I am having is with my instrument cluster, which in itself could be multiple problems. The gas gauge does not work. To fix this problem I have tried replace the fuel level sending unit, and going behind the cluster to make sure the connection is clean and connected properly. Also with the dash, my digital gear selector goes out every once in a while. Hitting the top of the dash usually takes care of this temporarily. My turn signals also do not work all the time. Turning on the flashers and then turn them off again is a temporary fix.

Another issue is, I assume, a problem with the PassLock system. I put the key in and it does not start. I then wait ten to fifteen minutes and try again. At this point it starts like nothing happened.

Any suggestions to possible causes or fixes would greatly appreciated.

-Bryan

Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM

The gauge clusters go out in these cars, replacing the stepper motors or a whole new gauge cluster will resolve this, I would imagine replacing the cluster would also take care of the gear selector issue. My car did the blinker issue once not sure why, not sure if its the hazard switch, or the multifunction switch causing the issue. As for the non starting its rumored that replacing the ignition assembly should resolve the issue. When you have to wait 10-15 minutes the car is relearning your key.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM

With the blinkers replace your hazard relay behind the dash (green box bout 1in by 1in by 2in) mine were bad when I bought my monte but the dealer fixed them they replaced that relay or switch whatever unwanted to call it and it hasn't done it since hope this helps Also the stepper motors is a good idea for ur cluster like ndaguanno said I'd replace the whole cluster tho to fix all now problems and potential future issues

Old 10-05-2013, 12:10 AM

This is first time I have seen these replies since I posted. I got married at the end of September and have incredibly busy since then. I was thinking stepper motors after doing some research not long after posting this.

Something weird: I had pulling utility trailer the last few days, and after two days of hauling it around, all of a sudden my gas gauge started working. Accurately, too! Any ideas as to why?

Last edited by bmberg91; 10-05-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Missed word
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Congratulations on getting married. As for the gauge I have no idea, earlier this year my oil gauge stopped working on one startup, shut the car off restarted it and it came back to life, hasn't given me a problem since, my temperature gauge seems like its a little out of whack occasionally, probably that motor wearing out. Don't know exactly what makes them work right, and what makes them malfunction. Question though, was your gauge stuck in one position, or completely dead. I do know the fuel level switch and wiper on the fuel pump can be problematic as well, it can give you a dancing gas gauge, inaccurate fuel readings. Maybe it was stuck somehow it freed up and thats why your gauge started working.