Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Factory XM Radio

Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Default Factory XM Radio

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo LS with factory XM radio that I bought in September of 2017. It was working fine until January of 2018. Now when you press the band button, the XM radio is not showing up on the display, only the AM and FM 1 and FM 2. Anyone else ever had this problem? Not sure if it's a XM tuner module problem or the factory head unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has a diagram of the XM tuner module pins, that would also be helpful.

Last edited by nmn169; 05-09-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am guessing you have one of 4 things:
- No power to the XM receiver.
- Bad ground to the XM receiver.
- The serial data line is dead.
- XM receiver died.

Attached is a PDF of the connector end views. Start with checking the power and ground. If those are good, next is trying to find out of the data line is good.

The quickest idea I have just to see if the data line is functional, disconnect the battery, use a multi-meter set to ohm out a connection (just to test for continuity). Again, disconnect the battery when doing this (so not to damage the meter or a system/computer in the car). You may have to rig up a wire, but test the serial data line on the XM receiver connector with any other serial data connection (such as the data pin on the diagnostic port under the dash). If you have continuity from the XM receiver's serial data line to any other data line, then this leads me to believe the receiver died. If you don't have continuity, next is the fun of tracing down the break.

I hope this helps get things started.

Attached Files
Old 05-10-2018, 04:02 PM

Thank you for your help. It turned out to be that there was no power getting to the XM tuner module. I ran a new power wire to it and it's back up and running.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good to know that was the issue, but I am concerned what happened to the original power wire (did it break off and now a possible shorting hazard)?

As I recall, the circuit that powers the XM receiver I believe is the same one that powers the amp. If that is the case, I think the factory "splice" is in a harness that runs along the passenger side (under the carpet between the passenger seat and door).

Search this Thread