Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Erratic electrical issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by LustGumby
So now I get in car, have full power (or enough to start engine anyway) & when I turn the key just to the On position it starts seeming to draw power a lot & erratically?! I can hear an audible "womp womp womp" & the lights on the dash brighten & dim with the noise. This is NOT on start, just ON, where I've been setting the ignition to get it to bypass the passlock. It seemed to work earlier today but now is making this scary noise & very quickly seems to be draining the power as when I let it go for a few seconds making the noise the lights go dim & die off quickly. I'm at a loss here. Won't start now either but to be honest, I'm afraid to turn the key any further at this point!!
When you turn the key to ON the fuel pump will start pumping. I wonder if that has gone bad and is grounding. Typically you can barely hear it if it all, but I'm not sure how it would sound or run when going bad. If there is an internal short in the fuel pump then it could be possible that it would kill the car while driving. I'm no mechanic, but it's an idea. Can anyone else comment on this possibility? What happens when you pull out the fuel pump relay? Do the electronics die?

Old 09-17-2023, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by LustGumby
My just bought - literally 2 days old to me - 04 MC SS - lost power this morning on my commute from work & slowly died out. I think just about every warning light in the system came on before all gauges & lights (even headlights, brakes, etc) went out & eventually the car died entirely. I coasted off the road, tried to restart to no avail (seemed like dead battery), called a friend & had him try to jump me. It worked, got me home but barely! Same issues after the jump. Know previous owner well, he mentioned issue that now seem like he had something draining the battery, said car wouldn't want to start if he let it sit for a couple days at a time. I can see the drain accounting for not starting, even an alternator for dying, but why all the weird electrical symptoms during the fail? Heard about BCM problems in these vehicles. Getting started on testing batt/alt & will update when I know, but seeing as i just bought the old gal a couple days ago, I'd love to have some more experienced insight before I start throwing more money down the drain. I've been waiting to have this car since I laid eyes on her brand spanking hot off the press in 2004, & now my dream comes true & she dies on me. Please, someone have me an easy answer. I'm def no car expert, could use the help. Thanks all.
Hi I have a 2001 mc ls. I thought i had a bcm issue and found that the ground coming from fuse box was the issue. I re routed the ground to a suitable ground where it isnt on just the fender and it fixed all my issues