Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Trouble starting, now won't start, no power to dash or anything

Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Default Trouble starting, now won't start, no power to dash or anything

Hey guys thanks in advance for any stupid questions answered! I'm in my first SS and in the process of learning it. Here's the problems... First off, the trac off light came on, before i could figure that one out, the security light started coming on when i start the car, light would stay on sometimes. Others it would shut off. Starting the car progressively took longer and longer over a week. Now, it won't start , and nothing on the dash lights up but my check engine light. I did try to reset the passlock but i messed up the first try.... So i have a beautiful paperweight sitting here till get a direction to go in.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Also forgot to mention, the starter was spinning really slow and my lights dimmed out, so i took the battery out to put it on charge. My problems got worse after i put the battery back in. That's when i lost my dash lights etc... I'm thinking that i locked my self out the system by taking the battery out?

Old 01-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pulling the bat out should not cause it, I would pull it again and have it tested, most parts stores will test for free

Old 01-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with Budsjlm. The battery is probably week and won't hold a charge. Try swapping it out with a known good battery, or just replace it with a new one, then do the security re-learn procedure if it doesn't start right away.

Last edited by plumbob; 01-21-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM

Ok cool i will start with swapping batteries and do the relearn, then check back in. Thanks you guys.

Search this Thread