Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine wont turn over and no clicking

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Default Engine wont turn over and no clicking

1996 Monte Carlo Z34

So at the beginning of July I drove my car to work like any other day, no issues starting. Turned the key and it started right up. I got to work, parked it, worked my 10 hours, and at the end of the day got in my car and absolutely nothing when I turned the key. I think the only noise I could hear was maybe the fuel pump, but there was no engine trying to turn over noise, and no clicking of any sort.

I had a friend who knows his way around cars... at least more than I do, try to help me figure out the issue. We replaced the starter with no luck getting it to work. We tried replacing the neutral safety switch on the transmission, also with no luck. We traced wires, and tested coil packs all with absolutely no luck in getting it started.

My battery is fully charged, and lights come on, radio works, windows roll up and down, everything seems fine, it just wont start.

Jumped the starter from another vehicles battery while the starter was installed and the car would start briefly then shut down.

The only thing I can think the issue would be now is possibly the security system went bad? What would cause this to just suddenly happen? Would a magnet on the key have ruined it and made it not work? My key attached to a strong magnet at work the same day the car stopped so that is the reason I'm asking if that could have caused the issue. Should I look into bypassing the security system?

Old 08-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Sorry to read about your problem with your Monte Carlo.

Check the below to see `if it helps..It could be a bad switch
or also clean your key also...

Please check back to see what our expert tech member's suggest...Good Luck
Click on the `Blue below links

1. 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo Starting Problem Monte Carlo - Car ...< click
  2. 3 posts - 2 authors - Jun 23, 2003
  3. Car Forums 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo Starting Problem Monte Carlo. ... think the cylinder is bad than any other part of the pass key system.

1. Get more discussion results
  2. Passkey bypass - successful - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo ...<CLICK< b>

4 posts - 2 authors - Feb 20
    My 1996 Lumina would suffer intermittent issues with the Passkey security system. The ignition had worn to the point were the resistor chip in ...
    Car won't start, flashing security light‎ - 5 posts - Oct 21, 2011
    Why start then shut down? - Monte Carlo Forum‎ - 10 posts - Oct 10, 2011
    MY Monte Carlo wont start/crank - Monte Carlo Forum‎ - 9 posts - Jul 27, 2010
    Trying to help my son - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte ...‎ - 10 posts - Dec 27, 2007
    More results from montecarloforum.com »

Get more discussion results
  3. bypass - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums ...< Click

1999, 96, 99, bypass, carlo, cylinder, ii, issues, Passkey ... 2001 monte passkey system ... How to bypass 2004 monte carlo factory amp ( Multi-page thread ...

4. How to bypass the VATS system in a late model GM vehicle <CLICK< b>

1991-1996 Custom Cruiser Wagon. Chevrolet. 1995-1999 Monte Carlo ... Any other GM Vehicles with the VATS or PASSKey II system (If your ignition key looks ...

Old 08-18-2012, 02:29 PM

The battery could still be the issue. Even though you can get your lights to work ect.. it might not have enough juice to turn it over

Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by blueSS
The battery could still be the issue. Even though you can get your lights to work ect.. it might not have enough juice to turn it over
But I would think jumping the starter and getting it running with another battery would keep the car running without it shutting off after a couple seconds. Besides the battery is showing it's fully charged.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by RhetoricCamel
But I would think jumping the starter and getting it running with another battery would keep the car running without it shutting off after a couple seconds. Besides the battery is showing it's fully charged.
Hmm in that case I could VERY well be wrong. Hopefully someone else has some ideas of what it could be

Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM

It sounds like the security system on the car thought the key was bad since it came in contact with the magnet. In that case the dealer will have to reset the security, and new key will have to be ordered. Make sure you take proof of ownership for your Monte, so they can order the key.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds to me like your VATS is acting up. I recently fixed mine by replacing the ignition switch, and the key. Check out vats.likeabigdog.com to see how to bypass it, if you want to go that route. I used this fix: check the resistance of the chip in your key. Get a resistor or two to match the amount of Ohms the key is putting out. Then wire them in under the dash kick panel. Worked 90% of the time, first try. Other times I'd have to wait 5 minutes after the initial attempt to start the car.

I hope just replacing the key will work for you.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Default Try this

First is it never working or sometimes working?

If it works sometimes then you need to put the key on the on position. Check and see if the security light is on. If so wait till it goes off, this may take a few minutes. When the security light goes off turn the key to the off position and then try to turn it on. If the vehicle turns on then success you can use this method temporarily until you get a new security switch for the car. If this method does work it is possible the key is damaged. Also I didn't do my homework on a 96 monte I have a 99 and this is the method I use. I am by no means an expert or mechanic this is an issue I'm dealing with right now I hope this helps you or any one with this issue.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM

I'm sorry I never responded back to this. I did the security bypass method and it has worked great. Got a new battery since when I had my car torn apart trying to figure out the issue I forgot to disconnect the glove box light which was probably on for a good 2 weeks and killed the battery. Has been working great for two weeks until today. I went start the car and absolutely nothing again this morning when I went to go to work. Got home from work and it started just fine.... what the heck?!

The only thing that changed from 5am to 6:30pm was the temperature and the dew buildup on my car. Not really sure why it wouldn't start for me this morning, but has been working fine (and did work fine after work) since the bypass.

Any suggestions?

Oh, I would say the air temperature when it wouldn't start this morning was about 40°F. Not sure that would have an affect on a resistor though.