Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine won't stay running...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:02 PM

Glad I could be of some use, had a similar problem with a firebird I use to have.
Careful with those drilled rotors, metal expands with heat so you will start to see cracking around the drilled holes.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:20 PM

I'm having similar issues with my 2005 Monte Ls 3.4... It starts with a lil help of the gas pedal hesitate then runs but won't restart intermittently unless I give it gas... I have a new fuel pump and filter new MAF but I can't find any codes stored when pulling the diagnosis I'm puzzled

Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 PM

Not to mention I'm burning through gas like crazy

Old 03-01-2014, 10:33 PM

mine didn't want to start unless I gave it gas after it was warmed up that is , cold started right up, it was the fuel pressure regulator, once I disconnected the battery to do some work and it wouldn't start unless I gave it gas, and then it wouldn't idle, I had to do a system relearn. so it depends on what you've done before, sometimes just the symptoms need to be expanded on, like, I did this, and then this happened, or after it's been running and warmed up, the restart is crappy, and so on, don't know if this helps but, just puttin it out there

Last edited by backwoodsmann; 03-01-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Thank you for responding let me see if I can elaborate more... I've been having hard starts in the morning as well until I changed the MAF because the old one was not reacting at all plugged in or not there was no change but i still have to give it gas. I changed the fuel pump and filter and no change. I can't get my car to throw a check engine light for nothing but it does come on before you crank it so the bulb is not out... Even when I pulled the TPS out it didn't throw a trouble code. The car runs great when it starts the rpms are around 700 idling and a lil over 600 in drive. Does the fuel regulator have to be leaking to be bad mine isn't? Is it the cause of my gas consumption?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had the same problem due time an aftermarket MAS. Three months after installing it I had to put the old one back on. It would start up fine when cold, but when warm, it would start and die right away. The weird thing about it was that it would not let me Remote start the car. Putting the old MAS back on fixed that. But the old one had it's on problems.
The first time the temperature here in Jersey dropped close to 0°, the car would start and run until the engine temp got to about 160° then the car would shut off, like I turned the key off.
A running diagnostic showed that the PCM was missing a signal from the MAS. I replaced the MAS with a rebuilt AC/Delco. It's run Great every since.

I'm coming to the understanding that the MAS of these newer cars, the MAS controls a lot more than air/fuel ratio. So now, when I have a Running issue with my Monte, the MAS will be on the list of things to check. And an Engine Running Diagnostic will be part of my test procedure!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:06 PM

I just wanted to follow-up and say that I believe the MAF has fixed my issue as well. I had almost identical problems to the OP and had gone through many steps to troubleshoot. After finding this forum I gave the MAF a try and it seemed to have fixed everything.

Thanks for the in depth discussion on this topic!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 PM

I believe my 2004 SS is having the exact same problem right down to even the traction control message.

I'm going to look into replacing the Mass air sensor and see if that fixes it. Right now I can't even get it to run long enough to back it down off of the ramps I have it up on.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Unplugged the MAS and the car started right up.

New part ordered and should have it in a couple of days. Thanks everyone for their input on this thread.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:41 PM

I just had this problem with my 2000 Monte. I did the unplug MAF sensor and the car stayed running. I replaced the sensor and plugged it in ....same problem. I found the problem, the vacuum line that connects to the pcv valve runs under part of the accelerator cable mounting bracket and then to IAC(I think that's what it's called) there is a port under that bracket which is easily missed, mine had the seal around vacuum line completely gone. Causing a bad vacuum leak. With this in mind make sure you check all lines for loose or dry rotted connections, any little leak will make engine run like crap. Car runs fine now.

Quick Reply: Engine won't stay running...