Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine won't stay running...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Default Engine won't stay running...

Hi, everyone. I have a bit of a problem, here. My 2003 Monte Carlo SS won't stay running. I went out to the garage this morning to go to work, turned the key, it fired up, sputtered, and stalled. I tried again, it did the same thing. The third time, I held my foot down on the gas a little bit to try to get it up to about 2500 RPM's to see if it would keep up. The RPM's went all wierd, jumped around a bit, and then it cut out. This lasted about 45 seconds, with the idle jumping all around, me hitting the gas a little bit, and it stalling. During this, the TRAC OFF light came on, and the "SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM" light came on, as well. I figured this was a fluke, considered how low the RPM's got, bringing the amps of the alternator down was maybe screwing with the system. But it's happened twice so far, after I cleared it the first time. Anyway, I thought maybe I had some bad fuel, but I have since ruled that out. It was a full tank, and I siphoned half of the tank into my wifes vehicle to ensure it was good. That was also after putting some additives into it to try to help. I also have since then put in new plugs and wires, replaced the fuel filter, and changed my oil for the hell of it. While at Auto-zone, I also bought a code scanner that has ABS capability as well. I ran it on my car, and it came back with the code C1276. As far as I can tell, that means Torque Delivered Signal Circuit Malfunction, or something like that. It doesn't really help. My scanner has some feature that lets me know what the most common repair is for my specific vehicle for the code that pops. It say something about the PCM. I'm curious what anyone here might think my problem is. I don't really have the money to take my car to a shop and have it completely diagnosed and repaired, even though I bought a $230 scanner, lol. I'd rather do it all myself, anyway. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm at work right now, so this was typed up quick. If there is any other information I left out, or that I can provide, please let me know. I gotta get this solved quick!

-R.J.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would start by checking your grounds

Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Any idea where I can get a reference for physical locations of the ground points?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Well, so far, this is what I've done:

Replaced Fuel Filter.
Replaced Spark Plugs
Replaced Spark Plug Wires
Replaced PCV Valve
Ohm'd out Ignition Coil Packs to verify good.
Stethoscope test on Fuel Injectors
Used Fuel Pressure Tester to test Fuel Pump, Fuel Injectors, and Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Now I'm lost. I have absolutely no idea what the problem could be. I've heard PCM could be a last resort, but I'm reluctant to try it. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Clean the MAF sensor. Or unplug it when the symptoms occur and see if it stays running.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 AM

I pulled the MAF Sensor and sprayed it down, making sure not to break the filaments in there. It was pretty dirty. It seemed to be running better last night after I did that, but, I went out into the garage this morning to start the car, and it did the same thing. It fired up, RPM's flickered a little bit, and it died. Tried a second time, ran for a couple of seconds longer, idled went stupid, and it stalled again. I unplugged the MAF Sensor and I couldn't get the problem to recur. It was running terribly, which I assume is normal considering it was unplugged. It could have been a fluke, but does the system use the MAF Sensor at idle? Or should I begin looking at the IAC?

I can hear the fuel pump running before and after the engine is started, so I know it's not that. The fuel pressure tester I used yesterday also confirmed it's good. I don't know what else to try. Any other ideas?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

IAC is usually the culprit if giving it gas keeps it from stalling out.

If not even doing that helps, then it could be the MAF.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Default iac

Hey slick.according to my mechanic,he told me that this code c1276 comes up when you lose a signal pulse from the PCM to the EBCM.This causes the abs to kick in and then shut down the injectors.that explains why it will just shut down sometimes. The trac light is coming on when the motor trys to shut down and you give it more gas the motor starts back up and sends a strong torque curve to the wheels thus triggering the track control and this soon(in computer time)shuts off the track control.after you pull off the road and finally get it started again your still not sure what just happened nlol.
Im an ex autobody painter so forgive my ignorance but what is the IAC.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info! I will look into that a bit more. I might order a PCM off of 3800performance.com if this is the case. The IAC is the Idle Air Control Valve. It's what keeps the motor running when you aren't using the throttle to accelerate.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Don't rule out the BCM going bad, check all the connections

Quick Reply: Engine won't stay running...