Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Engine won't stay running...

Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 AM

Been there done that still having the same problems.I like my Monte but I don't want to drop a fortune on it replacing a bunch o parts and still have the same problems.whatever happened to points and carboraters.at least I could work on those.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:22 AM

the only thing i can think of is having a diagnostic done to get a narrow down problem. then hit and miss i have been there as well till i said the heck with it. it is getting expencive throwing parts on it. some times it could be some thing really obviuse that can be over looked like a bad ground to a bad conection to a knock sensor throwing some thing off till it gets replaced. what i am saying is get a diagnostic done then get the money to get that just that fixed

Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Well, I'm going for a shot in the dark, here. I ordered a PCM off of Intense-racing.com. I've been wanting one for a while just for the performance increase, and I figured this would be as good a time as any to get one. Considering a lot of the things I am reading are pointing to the PCM, we'll see what happens. I should get it Saturday, and I'll post back here with my results. If this doesn't fix it, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop here to have it checked out. I just don't have the resources to locate the problem. Talk to you all soon.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drmrgal
whatever happened to points and carboraters.at least I could work on those.
Because having to do the timing every time it rains was so much more fun :p

To the OP, good luck with the PCM, don't forget the check the wires too when you replace.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Cool slickster on the pcm let me know something soon so I might be able to follow you down the rabbit hole.I've been thinking that its primarily been coming from the pcm as well.
Btw I don't mind checking timing in the rain I just don't like the water spots it leaves on my old morosso valve covers.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM

My PCM just shipped. I ordered it USPS Express mail, so it should be here Saturday. Hopefully you'll hear from me again this weekend and I'll let you know how everything went. Talk to you all soon.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:02 PM

PCM won't be here til monday I hate ordering things during the second half of the week. Always such a let-down...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM

PCM didn't fix it. I was sure it was gonna make a difference. No-go, though. Since installing it, I've taken out the MAF Sensor and the IAC Valve and cleaned them both, as well as the entire throttle body. I took the EGR Valve out to check it out. I cleaned it, and nothing looks out of order. I just don't know what do anymore. I am afraid I might have to bite the bullet and take it into a shop and get it checked out.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 PM

I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor yesterday. Drove it around for an hour or so after I was done. Ran great. Stalled once. Went to start it this morning to go to work, same thing happened. Same problem exists. I broke down and took it to the dealer earlier. Hopefully they can help me out.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Keep us updated, I'm very curious!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine won't stay running...