Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member
Default engine

Ok everyone so I got my monte carlo in a private sale with 148k and now Im almost up to 152k what would be better an engine rebuilt or just drop a crate engine in there.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM

Hi Tweek,
I hope the below helps ?
New Engine, Rebuilt Engine, Crate Engine, Junk Yard Engine

There may come a time when you are seriously considering replacing the engine in your car, truck, or van rather than buying a new car.
Although this is an expensive job it is still a fraction of the cost of a new vehicle.
Here are some of the options and what you get with each

New Engine -

If your car is more than 5 or 6 years old the odds of getting a truly new engine decline rapidly. A new engine is one from the same manufacturer that installed the engine in your car when it was new. A new engine is one that is fresh from the factory and has never been installed before. This is quite often the most expensive way to go and often does not carry any better warranty than a crate or factory rebuilt one. Still some folks prefer brand new.
Rebuilt Engine -

A rebuilt engine is just that, rebuilt. Often the rebuilding or reconditioning is performed by a machine shop and all the parts inside the engine block are brand new. This is the most common form of engine available in the market today. These engines can function just as good as a new engine and give years of performance.
Crate Engine -

A crate engine is the same as a rebuilt engine except it is the factory who has rebuilt it. In other words a Chevy engine would come directly from Chevrolet. A Ford engine directly from Ford. These often are pricier but often carry a better warranty and any dealer can honor that warranty across the country. So there are some advantages.
Junk Yard Engine -

If money is a concern (and when is it not) then sometimes a junk yard or salvage engine is the answer. These often have really limited warranties or none at all. Keep in mind that not all salvage yard engines are old and worn out. Finding a under 50k mile engine in a wrecked vehicle is becoming pretty common today and there is a database of such engines across the country.
The quality of the job you purchase is up to now that you know the definitions of these terms.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What year Monte, what engine does it have now and what are you looking to do with it?

Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
What year Monte, what engine does it have now and what are you looking to do with it?
Hi Mod `Jason >it's a 2004 S.S. 3.8L (152K miles)

Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Thanks Space... Now just need to know what his plans are for why he's wondering about an engine swap

Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Jasons questions need answered and also is the engine a supercharged engine?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

They're a few guys an gals here that can give you some good advice on the 3.8^^^^^^

Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2015
1 Year Member

basically I need this car to last me a very long time. Im thinking with 152,000 miles it might be time for a rebuild so I know the engine will last another 10 years or so.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by tweek
basically I need this car to last me a very long time. Im thinking with 152,000 miles it might be time for a rebuild so I know the engine will last another 10 years or so.
why do you think it's time for a rebuild?
is the engine doing things it shouldn't be doing?
has it been neglected? (you may not know but does it appear that way)

You may just need to freshen some things up, basically address the weak areas if there are gaskets that need replacing, etc, etc which are fairly cheap things to do, depending on what you actually need done it may be cheaper and easier for you to just address the problem areas. My car has 262 000 kms so somewhere in the neighborhood of your car and honestly a rebuilt engine is the last thing I would want to do as it still runs great, with the exception of a few gremlins from time to time

Quick Reply: engine