Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Emmisions Control Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Default Emmisions Control Warranty

I recently had my CEL come on with the code p0440. I tried the "tighten the gas cap and clear the code" trick. It worked twice for a couple of weeks at a time. Now it just comes back on right after start up, and once while I was getting ready to start the car (key in "On" position,waiting to crank). I have read that with a big vacuum leak in the evap system my gas mileage will suffer. That has not happened, which leads me to believe that it is something mechanical; solenoid,vent, canister etc. On another website, which has since disappeared, someone said that GM had to, by law, warranty emmisions components for ten years. Can someone here confirm or deny this? The car is an 01 LS 3.4, stock. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Default RE: Emmisions Control Warranty

Hi MT, do you have the original catalytic converter on your Monte?
They are known for going back & throwing codes ?
I would call your local dealer & check if they will test it.
It should be covered under warranty.
Below is the
Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))[/b]
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warrantyrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty[/b] requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0440 Evaporative Emission Control Syst...
Description of vehicle trouble code P0440. ... With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: ...
www.obd-codes.com/p0440 - 17k - Similar pages
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0440
Engine Check Light, Code P0440, and Clearing/Fixing - Automo...
6) We got Code P0440 (or P 0440 or P-0440) (variations inserted for search engines) ... 8) Diagnostic code P0440 is the Evaporative Emissions Control System ...
www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t317051.html - 74k - Similar pages
Good Luck `MT

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM

MT click the below forum link for information/problems
ref/`cat
[:-]

Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I should have been a little more specific with the description of the problem. The car runs great. Same gas mileage, smooth idle, and general good performance. I had my PCS changed about two weeks ago (weeks after the CEL/ p0440 came on) and the mechanic was the one who told me aboutsome of the other possibilities. He worked for GM as a Class A Technician, and is as honest as the day is long. He actually saved me $250! I will do a little more research (ie READING) into the Evap system and go from there. Thanks again.