Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

EMERGENCY!!! EMERGENCY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Default RE: EMERGENCY!!! EMERGENCY!!!

Its one of the big fuses, they're usually located in the fuse panel under the hood. I'm not sure where they are located on our car (I haven't had to look, thankfully).

They look like this...

Upon further reading, a particular Maxi Fuse should be there for the ECM/BCM, if this is burnt out, this would cause your problem.

Further, one of these Maxi Fuses also acts as the "master fuse" for the ignition itself, this could also cause your problem. My suggestion would be to start at these fuses and see if they are getting power on both ends with the ignition turned to the "ON" position. If they are, then this is not the problem, but if your getting power on one side and not the other, then that might be your problem.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Interesting, I will have to poke around my Monte today. It might be a good thing to have couple of extra Maxi Fuses on hand, if I find the fuses for the ECM/BCM I will post some pictures and fuse information.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:45 AM

I checked out the fuses and I found something very interesting. As I was taking the pictures below I figured I would make sure all the fuses were seated properly and found several, including the PCM fuse on the top panel loose. Loose to the point that it was pulled up at least 1/4 from 100% seated. These boxes are located under the hood on the pax side.

Top Box Cover

Top Box Fuses

Bottom Fuse Box Cover

Bottom Fuses

Old 09-01-2006, 01:07 PM

I have read a few articles online about people having this problem with the Maxi Fuses too, it's not a usual occurance but it does happen. I was really surprised that after all the work we put into my friends Cobalt that night, we never thought to check the fuses, LOL. Well hopefully this helps.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:10 PM

This post is turning into a GM Tech Class...WoW...I wonder if I can get
school credit for reading this. Great infor from the Moderator's & members.
I hope Brian - Monterider LS - , lets us know what the problem was with his Monte.
Mr. Montejass, great photo information. Oh, I like the light in your sig. I can't do Gif's yet....It is sweet.
`space

Old 09-01-2006, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

I like the light in your sig. I can't do Gif's yet....It is sweet.`space

Yes you can, play around with gradient tool and here is the little GIF tool to play around with.

UNFREEZ LINK... It's free too...

Old 09-01-2006, 06:42 PM

Mr Montejass, Again thank you for your help & the link. You are an
asset to this forum.
`SpaceStalker

Old 09-01-2006, 09:57 PM

[&:] Well guys. . .turned out that my monte never failed me. . .I failed my monte. It was a human error, not a mechanical error. Here's what happend. . .

You all know the story how it died, well I tried all the tips that mickey gave me, I also checked the fuses that White05LT and Montejass suggested. . .all checked out A-OK. The ONE place I failed to check was the PCM and intake. My aftermarket intake sits on top of my PCM. The filter has a wire mesh on it. Well after 88 bucks for towing and 100 to diagnose the problem, the vibrations from the engine, bumps, and my subs wiggled the filter back and forth to the point of cutting through the tape and rubber seals over the wires connecting to my PCM. In turn splicing some vital wires and shorting out the PCM. Chevy told me it was only a matter of time before it happend. So that was my problem.

So GM took some zip ties, secured the filter to the vertical brace bar, and installed a new wiring harness for me into the PCM. So I'm hoping she's going to be ok now. I am en route after this post to pick her up. . . so all together I payed $388 to fix my baby, for some stupid mistake that I overlooked when installing my intake. But this will give future tips to those that install custom intakes.

Thanks for all your help guys. You guys in this forum really know your cars. And I applaud you. And I think its time for me to finally invest in that PCM tray.

MonteriderLS (thank god I'm finally back to riding in my monte)

P.S. It just killed me seeing my car on the back of a flat bed tow truck. LOL

Old 09-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Hey sorry to hear about that, at least your back in your ride which is always good. I have a K&N CAI setup in mines, this makes me wanna go check mine out to see if everythings ok with it. Glad to hear your back on the road.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:44 PM

Man, that bites, at least it was not something really major....

Glad to see your back in action!!

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY!!! EMERGENCY!!!