Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Default Electrical Problem

Once last year and last friday I had my electrical go haywire on my ride home. I have a 2001 SS and on a daily basis I see a surge in the lamp for my radio control as well as my dash a few times in my 45 min. ride, but friday all my guages went out as well as my radio. The car still ran but all kinds of alarm lights were lit and when I got home and took out the key my travel lights and back up lights went on. I disconnected the battery lead to protect the battery and a half hour later when I put it back on the car was back to normal. It seems as if it drained the computer and cleared the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Default RE: Electrical Problem

I wonder if this could be due to the harness loop in the alt area?

NYCRISS pointed out that there was a TSB regarding this, look up NYCRISS's ID and follow his post on electrical problems.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:10 PM

Ok a few things...

First, are there any recently installed aftermarket devices such as a new radio or alarm and or remote start system in the car?

Secondly, was the trans shifting properly... or did you feel any loss of power?

The most likely cause of this condition may be a loss of voltage to the transmission solenoid power supply circuit.

This condition may also be the result of an incorrect installation of an aftermarket electronic device such as a remote starter or alarm system.

Also keep in mind that it is normal for the lights on the dash and radio do dim out and come back up from time to time... especially when at a stop. Any vehicle may have a low voltage display (if equipped with gauges), lights that dim at stop lights, slow cranking, no start, low generator output at idle or dim lights at idle when electrical loads are heavy at idle or under slow driving or infrequent usage conditions. These characteristics may be more noticeable with customer added electrical accessories, or with a discharged battery. These are normal operating characteristics of a vehicle electrical system and no repairs should be attempted unless a proven fault has been diagnosed.

During normal driving conditions, when engine speed is above 1000 RPM, the generator is designed to do two things:

• Supply the current necessary to operate the vehicle's originally equipped electrical devices (loads).

• Recharge/ maintain the battery's state of charge.
Check to see that the battery is in good working order.

Before I go any further, let me know if this helps and also let me know about aftermarket accessories, if any.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:12 PM

And yes, as montejass has pointed out, that TSB does relate to your car. I would check that out as well.
Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2006, 06:53 PM

my mom had this on her impala. we replaced the computer and all was good. her headlights would turn off, the radio would not work, and the "passlock" security light came on.