Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Door panel removal

I bought an 06' ss 4 weeks ago with 6000 miles. Since getting it I've noticed a rattle in the driver side door. At first I thought it was the speaker because the louder the volume the worse it was. Then I noticed with the sterio off and driving on city streets it was rattling bad enough that I took it back to the dealership and they said it was a lose screw. As I pulled out of the dealership parking lot the rattle remained. I've decided to deal with this myself. Does anyone know what is involved in taking the panel off so I can look inside and see wtf is causing this. I was told there's clips that I'll need to put it back on ?

On another note, the other issue I'm having is with the remotes. They only work if I'm within 10feet of the car. They said that my antenna and receiver need to be replaced and those parts are on order. Do they mean their going to replace the antenna on the roof of my car ?

A little disappointing having to deal with these issues since the car is basically brand new (6000miles). Otherwise love the car.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Door Panel Removal

1. Remove the screw holding the door-open handle bezel, and remove the bezel. Unhook the power door lock switch (if equipped) and set the bezel aside.

2. Carefully remove the power window switch from it's bezzel. There are 4 small clips, 2 on each side of the switch. Once you remove the switch from the bezel, the bezzel can be gently pried out the top of the panel w/ a small screw driver from the front.

3. Starting at the front w/ a small screw driver, pry out (gently!) the trim inlay that's above the arm rest...

4. Use a #30 torq bit to remove the large screw towards the top of the opening where the trim inlay was.

5. Remove the 4 philips head screws around the perimeter of the door panel.

6. Lift up on the door panel... you may have to shake it a bit.... and after moving upwards no more that an inch... the panel should come off.

There are screws in the top right corner right behind the mirror.
There is one behind the door handle on the inside.
Then you can grab the bottom corner and GENTLY pry out on it to get the clips to let loose then you can pull it off.
You will have to either support it or take the wires off of the switches in the door panels.

as for that antenna, im not sure, but they should replace it under the warranty?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info, doesn't sound that difficult. Hopefully I will be able to find whats causing the rattle, its driving me nutz.
Yes the antenna is covered under the optimum warranty since it was like that the day I bought it. Thats going in next Friday to be replaced.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

okay, good i wouldnt pay for it on my own lol, if you need a write up im gonna be pulling mine off but it might not be for 1-4 months

Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Both issues have been fixed by the GM Dealership. The noise in the door they said was the two locking rods hitting each other. They also replaced both my remotes and the antena/receiver so that problem is fixed now too. It didn't cost me anything but the bill showed $1000CDN parts and labor, ouch.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 PM

congrats on the new monte.

lol they just give you that bill so you feel special. it really didnt cost them more then 200 bucks plus labor.

anyways i always replace those clips, the arrow head ones, every time i take off the panel. they are very cheap and hold way better the first time around. if and when you realize that the oem speakers suck, most likely you'll get some rattle out of those speakers.

the mount is very cheap and doesnt hold well. my sugestion is to stick some dynomat around the speaker. GL

Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM

oh ya my biggest repair bill picked up by gm was around 2200 they say. i bet if i add all my reciepts together it would be around 4 to 4.5 thou. lol thanks GM.

if they gave you a bumper to bumper use the hell out of it while you can.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mak330
congrats on the new monte.

lol they just give you that bill so you feel special. it really didnt cost them more then 200 bucks plus labor.

anyways i always replace those clips, the arrow head ones, every time i take off the panel. they are very cheap and hold way better the first time around. if and when you realize that the oem speakers suck, most likely you'll get some rattle out of those speakers.

the mount is very cheap and doesnt hold well. my sugestion is to stick some dynomat around the speaker. GL
I think your right, the stock speakers kinda suck. Surprising though because the option codes show an upgraded speaker system in the car. However when I turn the bass up a little there's defiantly a rattle but not as bad as prior to the locking rods were adjusted.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM

One thing to be mindful of and I only know it because I'm going through it now. I had the same rattle and they found the same problem to be causing it. After a year now I'm finding that when its hot the windows wont go down intermittently. They mentioned something about a foam spacer that they put in and I think that its somehow become dislodged and is preventing the window rods from moving. I'm going to pull the door panel off and take a look at it sometime this week because my car is no longer in warranty and they want $130/door to even look at it! I'll put an update as I find things out.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 AM

Yes please give us an update on this after to pull the panel off.

Quick Reply: Door panel removal