Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!
View Poll Results: What do you use in your Monte Carlo ?
I use Synthetic
63.16%
I use conventional Motor Oil
31.58%
I use both
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Does Synthetic Motor Oil Pay `Off ? + more

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I use Mobil one in the monte & gto, Edge requires it or ill lose my lifetime warrenty if i use normal oil

Old 08-11-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic in my Monte since it's first oil change at 1,000 miles. (yes I changed the oil for the first time at 1,000 miles). I now have 163K and it runs just as good if not better (due to mods ) than the day I bought it.

I am a FIRM believer in sythetic motor oils, you will never catch me putting conventional in anything I own. My lawn mower has Mobil 1 in it...I even put Mobil 1 in the stupid company Prius that I drive.

For me, any SMALL price difference you pay for synthetic WAY pays for itself by the benefits of sythetics. Especially considering I drive so much, I stretch my drain intervals to 7,500-8,500 miles generally. I would never do this on a conventional oil. And the fact that synthetics leave your engine completely clean internally, makes it worth every penny in my opinion.
I would love to run synthetic since cost wouldnt concern me. My thing is ok I bought it used with 77,005 miles now that has me thinking I know its had at least 3 different conventional oils run in it maybe more due to not knowing preivous owners well so would it be safe or worth it to swtich is the question i always wind back up to. Like you say you change it between 7500-8500. For me would it be safe to dotthat after sitting months in storage during winter? Like I said I have so many questions which I'm left with on this. I'm highly considering switching the truck to fully sythetic at 76,000 but right now its about to get its 3rd oil change with me owning it with Castrol GTX

Old 08-11-2012, 03:15 PM

Forgot to add the trucks at about 72,250 so when i change it it'll be at 73,000 so after 3k that'll be 76k when I'd have to decide eithe synthetic or stick with what I'm using

Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM

When I first bought the car it had about 50000 miles on it, and it was owned by an elderly women, so I am sure it had non-synthetic up till that point. When it was in my hands, I used Castrol Syntec full synthetic and Castrol edge full synthetic, the car ran so well, like a beast. As I approached 100000 miles I switched to high mielage, by the same brand. I don't see too much of a difference, but it is not as, I will say, powerful...but it is good.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Full-Synthetic Motor Oil
  1. How is synthetic motor oil different from regular (conventional) motor oil?
    Synthetic engine oil products are produced through a synthesis process that takes very small molecules and assembles them into larger designer molecules with premium lubricating properties. Others may be produced through a synthesis process that takes very large molecules, breaks them apart, and re-arranges them to produce designer molecules with premium lubricating properties. In either case, the end products are base fluids with extremely good lubricating properties.

Conventional base stocks are refined from crude oil through various hydrorefined/hydrotreated refining processes to separate and/or convert undesirable compounds to yield a suitable finished base stock.
  2. Is synthetic motor oil made in a laboratory? Is it "fake" oil?
    Synthetic oils are not fake - they are still derived from crude. However, synthetic engine oils use higher basestocks than conventional oils and go through a synthesis process in which all the molecules are made into the same size for a higher film strength.

Full synthetic motor oils also contain man-made additives that are added to the oil to increase film strength, the ability to handle high temperatures, etc.
  3. Can you go longer between oil changes if you use a synthetic blend or full synthetic motor oil?
    Synthetic or synthetic blended oils are not intended to extend oil change intervals. These oils are recommended for use in harder working engines and to assist with gas mileage, not to extend service intervals beyond what the manufacturer recommends.
  4. Is it ok to switch back and forth between regular and synthetic motor oil? I heard this causes leaks? Is this true?
    Switching between synthetic and conventional oil does not cause problems. Because the oils are compatible, you can switch back and forth as often as you like.
  5. Can you mix different types of motor oil? For example, synthetic and synthetic blend or regular and synthetic? Is this going to cause problems?
    Mixing synthetic and conventional oils will not cause any problems. The oils are compatible with each other.
  6. How does Valvoline SynPower compare to Mobil1 and Amsoil?
    Valvoline's SynPower synthetic motor oils meet and exceed the same specifications as these two products.

Valvoline SynPower synthetic motor oils are high performing, high-quality oils formulated with full synthetic base oils and top tier additives to provide an increased level of performance. All of Valvoline's SynPower synthetic motor oils are API licensed to ensure quality for North American vehicle application. We have specially designed Valvoline SynPower 5w40 for application in high performance European or diesel passenger cars and this oil carries the specific OEM approvals such as Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche and BMW. Our North American SynPower 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 exceed ILSAC GF-4 requirements and carry the API starburst on the front label. Valvoline SynPower is designed with extra levels of detergent and antioxidant to provide outstanding deposit and heat protection.
  7. Why are synthetic oils more expensive? Are they worth the extra cost?
    Synthetic engine oils are superior to conventional oils because they help maximize horsepower, improve gas mileage and provide a smoother, cooler operation for the engine, prolonging engine life. Many vehicle owners feel that the benefits of using a synthetic motor oil are worth the extra cost.
  8. Does using synthetic oil create more sludge?
    No. Synthetic engine oils do not increase the chance of sludge. Valvoline motor oils are 100% anti-sludge guaranteed.
  9. Does using synthetic oil cause my car to use more oil?
    No. Synthetic engine oils do not increase oil consumption.
  10. Does using synthetic oil damage engine seals?
    No. Synthetic motor oils are perfectly safe for all rubber seals.
  11. I heard that synthetic oil is too thin for use in an older car and creates blow-by and burn-off. Is this true?
    This is only true if the blow-by problem exists prior to using a synthetic engine oil. If you have a leaking or blow-by problem, synthetic oils can make the issue worse, but they do not cause it to happen.
  12. Do I need to use a different type of oil filter with synthetic oil?
    No. You can use any type of oil filter with a synthetic engine oil.
  13. Are there certain types of vehicles that should not use synthetic motor oil (e.g., Mazda's)?
    Yes, there are certain engines (e.g., rotary engines) in which synthetic oils should not be used. Refer to your owner's manual for the appropriate motor oil recommendation.
  14. How does the test measure wear protection?
    The Sequence IVA test is a 100-hour test involving 100 one-hour cycles. Twelve cam lobes are measured at seven locations using a surface profilometer for the measurement of maximum depth of wear. The wear on all seven positions of the lobe are added and then all 12 lobes are averaged for the wear result.
  15. How does Valvoline's SynPower formula protect against wear?
    SynPower full synthetic motor oil is formulated with a balance of high quality ingredients such as detergents, dispersants, antioxidants, friction modifiers, anti-wear additives and premium base oils that work together to provide exceptional protection against engine stress and wear.

Valvoline's proprietary formulation includes special anti-wear chemistry. Valvoline's low impact ZDDP allows phosphorus in the anti-wear additive to stay in the oil longer than other leading synthetic motor oils. Phosphorous bonds to metal parts in the engine to form a "sacrificial" layer that helps protect against friction and metal wear in the engine.

SynPower uses premium detergents and dispersants that protect against deposits and sludge to keep engines clean. SynPower's premium full synthetic base oils and additives hold up to extreme temperatures to provide increased protection for your engine.
  16. What can one test prove?
    Valvoline anti-wear performance reflects numerous industry standard tests. The Sequence IVA test is the motor oil industry's key anti-wear test and is required for API Category SL/SM and ILSAC GF-3/GF-4 certification.
  17. What does this mean for my engine?
    It means that Valvoline SynPower full synthetic motor oil provides outstanding protection for your engine. It means that SynPower does more than conventional and other oils to give you want in a motor oil... outstanding protection to keep your engine running its best.
  18. Are there any gas mileage advantages to using synthetic oil?
    Absolutely. Synthetic oils use higher quality friction modifiers to make the oil more slippery and stronger than conventional oils. This allows the engine to run easier and smoother, increasing gas mileage.
  19. What group of base oils is used in the formulation of SynPower?
    Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.
  20. Does SynPower use polyalphaolefin (PAO) base stocks?
    Yes. Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.
  21. Does SynPower protect engine seals or do I have to buy a higher-mileage motor oil to get that protection?
    SynPower does protect engine seals, but high mileage oils are recommended in order to recondition older engine seals.
  22. Is it safe to use SynPower in a motorcycle with a wet clutch?
    No. Valvoline SynPower oils are not approved for use with a wet clutch.
  23. Is SynPower compatible with other brands of synthetic motor oil, or do I need to flush if I'm switching brands?
    Valvoline SynPower is compatible with other synthetic engine oils.
For more information or to submit additional questions, please click here to contact us via email or by phone at 1-800-TEAM-VAL.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Blackrain, in answer to your questions, you can switch to Synthetic, and yes you can use it, even if your are storing your Monte. If you are not hitting 7500 miles a year in the Monte, I would at least change it once a year...

You can't beat synthetics.

I swithced our 1989 Chevy Silverado from Conventional to Synthetic at 200K. It's whole life was on conventional up to 200K...it's now homing in on 230K, and runs awesome. Just passed CA smog again too. Infact, the synthetic has noticably cleaned up the inside of the engine over time. I look though the oil fill cap with a flash light, and I CAN see a change over these last 30K on synthetic. (and those last 30K have taken 7 years to put on the truck, cause we rarely drive it now). With the truck, it never makes it to 7500 miles, we just change it once a year or so.

Now that my Monte sits for the most part, i'm probably going to just be changing it's oil about once a year too...So far i've only put 3K on the car since December.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

im running royal purple full synthetic in turbo monte

Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use conventional Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 in both the Camaro and the Monte. $11 for a 5 qt jug.

When I get my new Camaro, I will run Mobil 1, and when I do the CSC build, I will probably switch my Monte over to Mobil 1 for the reasons that Zipper posted

Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Bulk Conventional at the local VW dealer (friends work there) in both the monte and intrigue,

cost me $20 for an oil change so i can't complain! and i get a free carwash!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 AM

I've run Castrol full synthetic in our Monte since day one. I also run Castol synthetic in our '95 C280; our son uses it for school / work so it racks up lots of miles, mostly city driving.

I run dino-oil in our other old cars. The '73 Mercedes 220 that our daughter uses at school because the engine runs dirty and the oil is filthy by 3000 miles. My two old Jags since they don't rack up many miles and I change the oil at least once a year regardless of mileage.

Quick Reply: Does Synthetic Motor Oil Pay `Off ? + more