Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Do you hear that ticking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Default Do you hear that ticking sound?

I have noticed since I got the car a couple years ago that when I start up the car after sitting for a while, I hear a slight ticking sound until the car starts to warm up, then it goes away. Never really tripped on it, just noticed.

Today I was getting ready to leave work and had just started up my car and of course it was ticking, but my coworker had come out to leave as well and he commented about the ticking sound. He said it's due to a lifter not getting oil right away due to gunk build up. He said the next time I top off my oil I should use tranny fluid instead and it will clean it out.

1. Does anyone else get that ticking sound on a cold start?

2. Is the tranny fluid thing a good idea?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Do you hear that ticking sound?

i've never heard of anyone putting tranny fluid in the oil, i dont think i'd suggest that...

try a bottle of lucas...that seems to help things out...on your next oil change or if your down a quart...but use the whole quart in there...wont hurt anything and that my help...as for cleaning out the oil system in your car you may have to get some of that engine flush stuff...

still never heard of anyone putting tranny fluid in the oil...doesn't sound right to me

Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 AM

A lot of the old mechanics used to ad a little tranny fluid to there engines once in a while because the fluid has detergent in it. It makes for a real good cleaning agent. I have seen my dad do this when I was younger.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 AM

I used the transmission fluid trick on older cars and it did quiet them down.There is a product called Marvel Mystery Oil that works good too.It even looks like ATF.A mechanic friend told me one time that they would soak new lifters in a pan of ATF overnight before installing them.The ATF would penetrate in and help on the initial start-up.Today though with all the modern products like Lucas additives,the ATF trick is little known.Another trick we used to use was pouring ATF slowly down the carburetor while revving the engine.It would remove the carbon and clean up the valves.It would really smoke out the neighborhood too!!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:58 AM

So SeaFoam would do the same thing then, right?

I've always wanted to try it and it's used the same way you just mentioned laserblue, but it's also supposed to be able to be added to the gas as well as the oil. I just don't want to ruin any sensors or anything doing this, while hopefully doing away with the ticking sound upon startup.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah sea foam would help

works great i forgot to mention that

Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM

On olders carswe woulduse the ATF. What we do before changing the oil is add a quart of ATF to the oil
let the car idle for about 20 mins or so. Then drain the oil and change the filter. I know a few of the older techs still do it on more modern day cars.
They even at one time had an engine oil flush that you could add to the oil and do the same as ATF.

Here is the problem with do the above. If your engine has a lot of miles on her, and has a lot of built up of gunk in the engine I would not reccomand the above. Because ATF is a detergent oil it will loosen up this dirt and sometimes the dirt will get stuck in a lifter ect.
If you do the above and there is a lot of miles on her, I would change the oil at least twice, first time then run her for about 500 miles or so and change it again.

04Monte
Whatbrand of oil are you using now?
Is it 5w30, 10w30 ect?
How many miles are on the car?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Its GM piston slap. GM V-6 up to about 2005 have it. It is not going away unless to replace the pistons with ones that have skirts on them.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

On olders carswe woulduse the ATF. What we do before changing the oil is add a quart of ATF to the oil
let the car idle for about 20 mins or so. Then drain the oil and change the filter. I know a few of the older techs still do it on more modern day cars.
They even at one time had an engine oil flush that you could add to the oil and do the same as ATF.

Here is the problem with do the above. If your engine has a lot of miles on her, and has a lot of built up of gunk in the engine I would not reccomand the above. Because ATF is a detergent oil it will loosen up this dirt and sometimes the dirt will get stuck in a lifter ect.
If you do the above and there is a lot of miles on her, I would change the oil at least twice, first time then run her for about 500 miles or so and change it again.

04Monte
Whatbrand of oil are you using now?
Is it 5w30, 10w30 ect?
How many miles are on the car?

When I first got the car I used Royal Purple, I switched over to Mobil1 Synthetic 10w30 a few months ago. Car has 45k on the odometer