Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Did my engine blow up, or is it a $20 part?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

One of my neighbors has had a totaled one in his driveway he was trying to sell for the longest time (the engine still started). I went by, but it was actually gone (I'm guessing it's in a junkyard now). But yeah, I agree a junkyard one is likely better at this point. I'm really curious what actually happened inside though, so I'll definitely be taking it apart regardless. I'm just trying to find if there might be something that could have happened that doesn't involve the piston (for example, maybe detonation bent it and ruined the head gasket, and the piston is still ok, but idk.. the initial problem was it in essence just shut off and died, I'm wondering if this problem caused that, or if this might have happened as a result of that problem and the initial problem is still there). 60K miles ago a lobe on the cam spun and took out a lifter, the timing chain tensioner was also broken (I never found out which was the initial problem, just they were all broken, and it worked after they were replaced).

Old 06-30-2020, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by archimedes
I'm just trying to find if there might be something that could have happened that doesn't involve the piston (for example, maybe detonation bent it and ruined the head gasket, and the piston is still ok, but idk..
Something broken in the valve train can cause zero compression too - broken valve spring, bent / stuck valve, etc. But I do fear it's probably a really bad situation with that combination of symptoms (absolutely zero compression + bent spark plug).

If the head gasket is super destroyed, it could've let in enough coolant to smash the plug. I'd also worry it might've jacked something else up if it was that close to hydro lock.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm planning on taking it apart sometime within the next week. I'm just making sure there isn't anything I'm missing before it comes apart. Only other symptom I forgot to mention, at the exhaust, it was definitely just blowing air out the muffler, not pulling any in (the other time it had a misfire, it was definitely pulling air in). I'll post anything I see/find that looks interesting, though I'm not hopeful right now (I'm going to be shocked if somehow it can be repaired without a major overhaul). It's so close to the 200K mark, I was really hoping to pass that and then do a complete overhaul on everything (I still don't want to get rid of it, though the thought of the engine being toast isn't exactly a good thing).