Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Problem with 03 SS 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Exclamation Problem with 03 SS 3.8L

I recently bought my first car 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 3.8L from a private party, being a teenager on a low budget I thought to myself this is the first car I want and I can't go wrong with a Monte Carlo. I went to go check it out and took it for a test drive, no check engine light on, engine felt and sounded in good condition, good brakes, oil was good, etc. Couple of weeks passed now and it is time for some repairs,when I am driving in the street the engine shuts off the steering wheel locks but the electricity stays on then I switch the gear to neutral and crank the engine right back on starts right back up fine then switch to drive and keep going down the road. Is it safe to start the engine right back on or should I wait for it to cool down? The other problem yes their is more lol , the engine starts fine in the morning but when I crank it up later in the day after the engine has been warmed up it doesn't want to start on the first time ,it takes a couple of tries. Yesterday I tried to crank it up but failed then I tried again second time then I heard a crack or click noise and started seeing smoke coming under the hood, I popped it open to see where it was coming from and it looked like it was from a part under the alternator or somewhere in the bottom area in front of it I will post a pic soon to show exactly where. Today the same thing happened when i tried to crank it up the second time smoke came under the hood from the same place a part below the alternator i let it cool down then started the engine and drove it back home. I have connected a obII scanner but no codes show , their is an option where it states since DTC's cleared and what I got was evap system mon incomplete , oxygen sensor mon incomplete, everything else says ok. Has anyone ever experienced this before or is having similar problems? Would it help if I post the live data that the scanner is reading and should it be while the engine is off with ignition on or while the engine is on while I am driving?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:56 AM

The shutting off problem sounds like it could be fuel related maybe a fuel filter or regulator? Have you changed the filter?

When you see the smoke does it smell like oil or coolant? The coolant elbows are common to brake and they are around the alternator so that maybe your problem. Is your temp gauge reading normally? How is your coolant level? Any fluid drips under the car?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with LW. You could have a bad coolant elbow or you are leaking oil. The stalling While driving could be a fuel filter or regulator. And the Hard to start when hot could be a map or mas sensor.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo3.8
I recently bought my first car 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 3.8L from a private party, being a teenager on a low budget I thought to myself this is the first car I want and I can't go wrong with a Monte Carlo. I went to go check it out and took it for a test drive, no check engine light on, engine felt and sounded in good condition, good brakes, oil was good, etc. Couple of weeks passed now and it is time for some repairs,when I am driving in the street the engine shuts off the steering wheel locks but the electricity stays on then I switch the gear to neutral and crank the engine right back on starts right back up fine then switch to drive and keep going down the road. Is it safe to start the engine right back on or should I wait for it to cool down? The other problem yes their is more lol , the engine starts fine in the morning but when I crank it up later in the day after the engine has been warmed up it doesn't want to start on the first time ,it takes a couple of tries. Yesterday I tried to crank it up but failed then I tried again second time then I heard a crack or click noise and started seeing smoke coming under the hood, I popped it open to see where it was coming from and it looked like it was from a part under the alternator or somewhere in the bottom area in front of it I will post a pic soon to show exactly where. Today the same thing happened when i tried to crank it up the second time smoke came under the hood from the same place a part below the alternator i let it cool down then started the engine and drove it back home. I have connected a obII scanner but no codes show , their is an option where it states since DTC's cleared and what I got was evap system mon incomplete , oxygen sensor mon incomplete, everything else says ok. Has anyone ever experienced this before or is having similar problems? Would it help if I post the live data that the scanner is reading and should it be while the gengine is off with ignition on or while the engine is on while I am driving?

I'm having pretty much the same issue as you, the car died, fired right back up but it takes a few cranks, sounding as if it doesn't want to start at all.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 PM

could be a fuel filter or reg problem...you may also want to check on the fuel pump or even the crankshaft position sensor...the crank sensor will not always throw a code on...first try this...i have a really good spark tester that plugs inline with a spark plug wire...while it acts up, check to see if the light flashes while cranking...if it lights up, the ckp is fine...next hook up a fuel pressure tester to see if you have adequate fuel pressure...

Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo3.8
The other problem yes their is more lol , the engine starts fine in the morning but when I crank it up later in the day after the engine has been warmed up it doesn't want to start on the first time ,it takes a couple of tries.
This could be a starter issue. I had a similar problem in my 1999 Ford Taurus where I could start in the morning, but once I got where I was going, I could not start it again for almost 20 min.

How many miles are on the car?

Short term solution/test is to carry a hammer with you and when it doesn't want to start, try tapping on the starter to shake up some of the loose dust in the starter.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 PM

I'm having an exact same situation if you find out anything on it please post it here

Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it is only doing this when the engine is at N.O.T. then have your MAS checked. Mine was not sending a good signal back to the PCM. No CEL came up but when the engine reached n.o.t. (normal operating temperature ) she would just Die, then would crank but not start for about 15min. It had to ne scanned while the engine was running in order to find the problem!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:59 PM

Check your crank sensor. Had a GTP and would do the same thing. Chased the problem for weeks. Replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, ign module tests, and replacement, maf, o2 sensors.

And found out it was the crank sensor

Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Default Same with my 02 Monte

I have been battling this problem for a while now. Have a new MAP, Purge Valve and Canister, Plugs and Wires, Coil packs, Fuel Filter, Upper Intake Plenum Gasket, and cleaned the MAF. so.... when I plug into the Automate and watch the data my "fuel sys1" is OPEN during the no start event. is this normal?

also after waiting 20-30 minutes and finally getting it to start there is a smell of oil...

Quick Reply: Problem with 03 SS 3.8L