Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Did i mess my rotors up??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Did i mess my rotors up??

Ok. Ive got an 01 monte carlo ls. About a year ago i baught some aftermarket drilled and slotted front rotors. Then about 2 weeks ago somebody informed me with drilled and slotted rotors one is specifically for the left and the others for the right. And they pointed out that i had put them on backwards. So i switched them. Now my car rides very bumpy, wobbly, pulls and jerks when braking, sways, etc.
Should i switch the rotors back or did i likely ruin them and need new ones?

Old 06-08-2020, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You don't have a high performance car. I guarantee you that the inner vain of the rotor is NOT directional where there is an actual left and right. You are fine putting them on in anyway "direction" that you want.

I would put them back how you had it, you already had the pads mated to that rotor. Clean them up with brake cleaner, give a little scuff to the rotor, and burnish them again.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You don't have a high performance car. I guarantee you that the inner vain of the rotor is NOT directional where there is an actual left and right. You are fine putting them on in anyway "direction" that you want.

I would put them back how you had it, you already had the pads mated to that rotor. Clean them up with brake cleaner, give a little scuff to the rotor, and burnish them again.
drilled and slotted rotors do. But never heard of them being put on wrong sides, so no idea if its bad or not.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Steelbizkit
drilled and slotted rotors do. But never heard of them being put on wrong sides, so no idea if its bad or not.
Not necessarily. I have r1concepts performance slotted rotors on my Camaro SS, and again they are not directional according to the inner vane. They say that they cast them in a specific way and do mention there is a left and right, but functionally there is no difference UNLESS the inner vanes are angled specifically for 1 direction.

You can confirm what is correct by looking at the inner vane structure. If they are straight, it really doesn't matter which side you put them on. If they are angled then you need to follow what is needed for proper airflow.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G~sAA...zG/s-l1600.jpg

Old 06-09-2020, 08:51 AM

I wouldn't worry about it at all and would just put them back how you had them. TBH, I'm not even a big fan of going to drilled / slotted rotors on these cars (mostly due to seeing numerous drilled rotors forming cracks years ago). I used to be into that until I saw how many amateur racers on the C6 platform were using regular blanks for track days and still going super quick. I figure if blanks are good enough for legitimate amateur track cars, they're fine for my street cars too.

One other interesting note in terms of the direction- take a look at C6 Z06 directional drilled rotors - GMs top of the line sports car for years. Same PN for the left and right front and they are directional vanes (meaning one is spinning backwards from what it should be). No doubt it's probably a cost cutting deal and isnt quite optimal, but if it's good enough for something like that, it's not that big of a deal for a regular v6 street car.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-09-2020 at 11:43 AM.