Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Daytime running lights go off and on by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Default Daytime running lights go off and on by themselves

I have a 2002 Impala which I believe is pretty similar to the Monte Carlo, so I hope you guys don't chase me out of here

I hear a loud click near the drivers side dashboard when I hit bumps and sometimes when I tap the brakes. I notice that when it clicks, sometimes the daytime running lights go off or on. I swapped the daytime running lights relay under the hood with the fuel pump relay with no improvement.

I figure the next thing to check would be the headlamp relay, but I am having trouble finding it. I understand it is on the back side of the driver side fuse box. Is that correct? What is the easiest way to reach it?

Any other ideas as to what might be the problem?

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM

when you have the chance get a head light switch it might be it but it is hard to diagnose to be honest.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM

After hours of diagnosis, I am almost certain the problem is the switch that tells whether the transmission is in park or some other gear. A couple clues are that when the DRLs go out, there are also other symptoms:

1. The parking brake chime won't chime when the car is in drive and you press the parking brake

2. Every press of the brake pedal while in drive causes a click of what I assume is the brake-shift interlock solenoid.

Both seem to be signs that the car thinks it is in park, even though it isn't.

Also when the DRLs are off, I can jiggle the shifter or change gears and the DRLs will come back on.

The ignition key also sometimes takes a little jiggling to turn. I wonder if this is related.

So where is the switch that tells the car whether it is in park? Also, what is this switch called? My transmission shifter is on the steering column.

If the switch is difficult to get to, a way to disable the switch would be an alternative.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

My best guess would be that the neutral safety switch is either bad or intermittantly failing. With your foot on the brake, put the car in 1st gear and try to start the car. If it starts, the switch is bad and that is probably what is causing your problem. Dont really know what else to check if the switch is ok.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 PM

The car won't start in any gear other than park or neutral.

The switch I am describing treats Park and Neutral differently. The DRLs are normally on in any position other than Park. Would it still be the neutral safety switch?

Is there any other switch that only works in park?