Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

DAMSEL IN DISTRESS: my car wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Default DAMSEL IN DISTRESS: my car wont start!

Hi everyone! New here. I searched this forum for answers but I can't find what I'm looking for, so I apologize if any of these issues have been previously addressed... I'm just growing impatient with the searching and thought it would be best to just ask. I appreciate your help.

I have a '99 Monte Carlo. Have had it for 1 year now. Past 2 months I've notice it hesitating and getting progressively worse. The check engine light comes on when it hesitates. Why haven't I gotten it checked out, you ask? I have been in the middle of moving across the state and had planned on getting it checked when I got here and got all settled in... well, that time has arrived and now the car won't start at all!

I don't understand what it means to "crank" or "turn over." I've had people explain it to me but I don't get it. Sorry, must be a ditz. But I know it's not the battery. It's getting power, but going "whrrrrr whrrrrr whrrrr" like it's trying to start when I turn the key over, but it just won't catch. I had an old Cavalier with this problem before and always just pumped the gas to get it going. That's not working this time with my Monte Carlo. Is it bad to try to keep starting it? I had starter problems/celunoid problems with an old Pontiac once and it kinda reminds me of this... but I thought starter problems happened slowly... I've never noticed a problem starting it until yesterday, all of a sudden!

Maybe the hesitation issue is not related to the no-start issue, I don't know... But it has suddenly gotten cold here, I moved to a colder climate, lots of snow, just had a storm, very wet now as it is melting. Still, haven't had cold issues last winter (though I was in a 10 degree warmer climate).

I had the spark plugs & wires changed not too long ago. Also in the past year: transmission flushed, new alternator, new tie-rods, & "intake manifold gasket" (I think?). I always keep the fluids full & oil changed. OK I know noone of those things probably matter here, except the sparkplugs.

Main thing is:

1) I want to know all I can about the problem before I bring it in so I don't get ripped off

2) I want to get it started just once so I can get it to a shop and not pay for towing!

Thanks everyone, sorry this is so long.... any info would be helpful!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Default RE: DAMSEL IN DISTRESS: my car wont start!

have you checked the battery, or put a charger on it?? if it's the original battery, could be it... hell, even if it isn't the original, it could still go. It may not be getting enough power to turn the starter quick enough to catch???

I have a new '06 Monte, and at 11 months old, my battery went dead - car wouldn't start - it was ok once I jumped it, it would keep running, but as soon as I turned it off, nothing. Turns out, apparently a cell or 2 in the batter had gone bad (according to dealer tests they did). So, I got a brand new battery for nothing, and it's a better/stronger one than what came in the car originally.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:58 PM

I can check the battery... we are going to jump it tonight.

just figured it wasn't the battery because it doesn't sound like it. It's not going whrrrrr really slow, its doing it really fast. and then the more i try to start it, then it finally gets slower... draining the battery. i wonder if the fuel pump could be it, with the hesitation?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:45 PM

just tried jumping it. didnt work. so its getting power, right?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM

You have probably lost either fuel pressure or spark. To check the fuel system, turn the iginition switch ON to the RUN position (not to the start position) and listen very carefully near the gas tank. You should hear the electric fuel pump running for about 2 seconds. It would help if you have a helper near the rear of the car when the key is turned on. If you don't hear it running it just might be the fuel pump relay which is located somewhere in the engine comp. Should be a box full of fuses, relays, etc. The cover for the box should be marked to show what fuse, relay, etc goes where. Sometimes there are several relays with the same part number printed on them. If so, you can swap them around to see if this gets it running. I hope this helps as it's hard to diagnose without being there. If you get it going take it to Autozone and they will usually run a FREE scan on the computer to read the codes. (They want to sell you parts). If you go to a garage or the dealer, a scan will cost $$$$$$$. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 PM

thanks for the info steptoe!

i will try that... what kind of sound should i be listening for?

and thanks for the info about autozone... i didnt know that, either.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:23 AM

It sounds like the fuel pump to me also, My truck did same hesitation problem and after a new pump it runs like the day it was made. The sound you should hear is a whining, but listen close as it will be faint.