Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Damsel in distress.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Default Damsel in distress.

Had oil changed 477 miles ago and now I am a 2 qts low. oil on bottom of pan only and no oil is on ground where I am parking. and no smoking when car is started or running. I was told cam shaft seal may be the problem... what do you all think?

Old 04-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread up for you, cause it's over my head. I'm a wrencher but not that in depth.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Seems more than just a tiny leak on the main seal. The oil is going somewhere. It has to be burning the oil if you don't see any on the ground 2qt. is something that can't be missed if it leaked.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum
Sorry to hear your having a problem...but you came to the right place...
What year is it? How many miles on it? What motor is in it?

Could be a possible bad PCV Valve......
Builds up to much crank case pressure thus blowing out the pan... could also be a cracked head/block... and or need to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets... could also be a loose/stripped oil pan drain plug.

I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 PM

Guessing rear main seal. 9/10 times when someone says no oil leaks on ground its just when/whre they look.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Welcome to the forum
Sorry to hear your having a problem...but you came to the right place...
What year is it? How many miles on it? What motor is in it?

Could be a possible bad PCV Valve......
Builds up to much crank case pressure thus blowing out the pan... could also be a cracked head/block... and or need to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets... could also be a loose/stripped oil pan drain plug.

I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas.
148100 miles on car. and checked drain plug. car is running the same other than the fact im 2 qts of oil.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by l67ss
Guessing rear main seal. 9/10 times when someone says no oil leaks on ground its just when/whre they look.

have been told that may be the issue but I have only been getting opinions from a few people who are mechanically adept and have not taken to professional.
I do park in the same place daily at home and work and left news paper underneath last night and papers dry.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Which engine is this? A 3400, 3800?
It's not uncommon to have oil on the bottom of the pan, especially if you go to an oil change place (they may not wipe it down).

Since this is linked with a recent oil change:
- Check around the oil filter. If it's not on tight OR they did not remove the gasket from the old filter (now having a double gasket), it will leak (filter should be covered in oil if it is).
- They may have shorted you on oil.
- Since you mention oil on the oil pan, possible a damaged seal on the drain plug.

And here's one that is not related to an oil change:
- Oil pressure switch/sending unit is leaking oil (may not leak until you have pressure on it, such as when you are accelerating).

Just a few thoughts.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Which engine is this? A 3400, 3800?
It's not uncommon to have oil on the bottom of the pan, especially if you go to an oil change place (they may not wipe it down).

Since this is linked with a recent oil change:
- Check around the oil filter. If it's not on tight OR they did not remove the gasket from the old filter (now having a double gasket), it will leak (filter should be covered in oil if it is).
- They may have shorted you on oil.
- Since you mention oil on the oil pan, possible a damaged seal on the drain plug.

And here's one that is not related to an oil change:
- Oil pressure switch/sending unit is leaking oil (may not leak until you have pressure on it, such as when you are accelerating).

Just a few thoughts.
engine is 3400. I did check oil filter and drain plug. and did watch when they did oil change accurate amount of oil was added. oil on all over bottom and nowhere else up top

Old 04-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello Bond, so I have to assume you topped off your oil, have you had a chance to check it since? You didn't say who did your oil change. If it is someone you really trust than please disregard the following;
There have been many reports across the country of oil change places that do not do the job you pay them for. I personally have had a new oil filter but no oil, new filter and old oil, and nothing at all done.
Could it be that the place that did your oil change only put 5 quarts in?
Also, as Jason said, If your PVC is bad you could get blow back into your crank case.

Quick Reply: Damsel in distress.