Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 10:52 AM
Default Icm

With the prices you paid it had to be a BCM.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Default Did you get it programmed.

Programming?

Old 10-02-2019, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It was the ICM which was bad. I had the diagnostic, they mentioned no signal was being sent to the fuel injectors. a new ICM fixed everything.

Though the last 2 nights have been cool, and the car didn't start up on first turn. Similar issue with key turned no crank. I turned it off,t hen on, let it sit a minute then tried starting and it worked. So maybe the ICM i have isn't great, or I might have a BCM issue, or the wiring to/from the ICM or it's connector might have an issue. I'll see if this becomes more of an issue in the future as I'd like a reliable car.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I have an intermittent no start condition. after replacing the ICM. The ICM was bad and gave a crank but no start.

Now I get a new issue. So removed the starter, it tested fine. Connect a multimeter to the purple wire that sends 12v signal to the starter to engage it. Sometimes I get 12v most of the time I get no voltage. Not sure if maybe my replacement ICM is/was bad an if it would give this symptom. I feel the relays click, swapped out the crank relay with the fan relay, no change. Swapped out the ignition with the AC, no change still doesn't start consistently.

Other options may be a bad ignition switch, cylinder, neutral safety switch, or BCM.

Interesting observation is if leave the key on start for a second or so, it will sometimes give 12v to the starter. Sometimes the parking lights turn on then it gives 12v to the starter. Sometimes if it doesn't give 12v to the starter, i try shifting to neutral and it may work. Sadly the inconsistent nature doesn't clarify which issue maybe be the cause. See pictures of my setup below. youtube video below as well.

My major question. Does anybody have a wiring diagram? I'm hoping to find where i can check to see if the ignition cylinder is functional and sends 12v to the BCM. Then where i can check that the BCM sends 12v to the next part of the ignition sequence (i'm guessing PCM) then the PCM sends signal to the starter via that purple wire.

From my video all I do is cycle from ON to START, so I don't think it's a neutral safety switch issue or any grounding or relay issue. It may be a ignition cylinder/switch issue even though mine are relatively new. Or it's a BCM issue or PCM issue. Other opinions are welcome.

Mulimeter setup. Black wire to ground via alligator clips, red to starter ignition wire
PvuwHqP.jpg

Close up view of the starter ignition wire (purple) with red alligator clip, clipped to it. The major connector not connected is the hot wire to the starter that is always on.
0usDJNK.jpg

Video of starting issue

Last edited by xpage; 10-16-2019 at 01:11 AM.