Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cowl Water Deflector for 2000 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 PM
1 Year Member
Default Cowl Water Deflector for 2000 Monte Carlo

Hello,

Pulled out of the driveway yesterday and heard gallons of water sloshing around somewhere. Now I know why the previous owner kept it under a carport!
There are at least 3 places water is getting in. Luckily the majority of it stayed outside the cabin. I drained the water from the doors and replaced the waterlogged cabin air filter. Sloshing sound is gone now. But I'd like to prevent this from happening again. A few questions:

1. Anyone know if the GM Cowl Water Deflector (Part #15794785) will fit on a 2000 Monte Carlo? The site says it's only for the 06 and 07, but it was implied elsewhere that it works on the earlier Montes.
Part: https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-deflector-15794785.html?Make=Chevrolet&Model=Monte+Carlo&Yea r=2003&Submodel=&Filter=()

2. If I replace the door window seal weather stripping, will that most likely prevent water from getting in, or is there anything else?

3. One other thing, there is still a decent amount of water leaking out of the surfboard spoiler. Any opinions on whether water in the spoiler would be an issue over time, and if there is a way to prevent water from getting in there?

Thanks

Last edited by CaptainDawson; 01-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1. - That deflector works 100% in our Montes, but you need to do just a little work with your cowl. It's roughly a 10 minute install. I put one on my Monte and one on my ex-wife's Impala years ago. Here's a link to a guide we have on the topic:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lem-fix-26663/

2. - Most likely replacing worn out seal should do the trick on the doors.

3. - As for water in the surf board, I'm curious how it's getting in there, unless it's a condensation issue. Are you getting water in the trunk from the surfboard mounting holes?

Old 01-14-2018, 05:01 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
1. - That deflector works 100% in our Montes, but you need to do just a little work with your cowl. It's roughly a 10 minute install. I put one on my Monte and one on my ex-wife's Impala years ago. Here's a link to a guide we have on the topic:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lem-fix-26663/

2. - Most likely replacing worn out seal should do the trick on the doors.

3. - As for water in the surf board, I'm curious how it's getting in there, unless it's a condensation issue. Are you getting water in the trunk from the surfboard mounting holes?
Thanks for your reply! I'll try to grab one of those parts before it rains again, but until then I'll keep the car under a cover.

There is no water in the trunk whatsoever. Even looked in the bottom of the spare tire well and it's not even damp. I can see water if I gently pull the spoiler up a bit, and there is conspicuous trickling from it even a full day after the weather dried up. The extreme condensation in the taillights tells me there is a problem in the rear end somewhere though...

Old 01-14-2018, 05:54 PM

The clear lens covers on the tail lights are notorious leakers... mine were so bad a t one point they filled with water lol... I just broke them off....rather than shell out 200 bux for new ones. the red lens underneath is sealed from the bulbs.

The doors can be a issue for water infiltration into the cabin. make sure the drain holes on either ends of the doors are not clogged. you may have to remove the door panels and remove builtup debris on the inside... a small shop vac with a crevis nozzle works great. also yu will notice a rubber seal that runs the length of the bottom of the doors...when the doors are closed it partially obstructs the drain holes...you can snip off an inch or so of the inner lip with a pair of wire snips....right were it covers the drain holes... makes a huge water flow improvement.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sharpeezss
The clear lens covers on the tail lights are notorious leakers... mine were so bad a t one point they filled with water lol... I just broke them off....rather than shell out 200 bux for new ones. the red lens underneath is sealed from the bulbs.

The doors can be a issue for water infiltration into the cabin. make sure the drain holes on either ends of the doors are not clogged. you may have to remove the door panels and remove builtup debris on the inside... a small shop vac with a crevis nozzle works great. also yu will notice a rubber seal that runs the length of the bottom of the doors...when the doors are closed it partially obstructs the drain holes...you can snip off an inch or so of the inner lip with a pair of wire snips....right were it covers the drain holes... makes a huge water flow improvement.
Good tips, thanks! The tail lights are getting very annoying... but any chance I could just remove the clear covers and then glue them back on since the clear cover is actually slightly separated from the housing? Or would I still inevitably get condensation?

It's been 2 days since the rain, and I still see icicles and a steady drip of water from the forward edge of the passenger door. I think it froze inside, which explains why I wasn't hearing the sloshing anymore. The majority of the water was definitely coming in through the windshield seal and cabin filter.

Last edited by CaptainDawson; 01-15-2018 at 08:49 PM.