Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Coolant Leak Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Coolant Leak Problem!

I was outside checking for normal wear and tear problems. I noticed the fitting on the radiator (sorry, don't know what it is called) was wet looking. So I touched it and come to find out that it is coolant. Now, everytime I look underneath my car, there is no leaks but this is a problem. Is it hard to change or does that mean (by the radiator side pieces being plastic) that the fitting is overtighten and strip the threads inside? Any help would be appreciated...
Pics are provided!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00079-20101030-1338.jpg (88.5 KB, 109 views)
IMG00077-20101030-1338.jpg (88.4 KB, 102 views)
IMG00078-20101030-1338.jpg (89.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 AM

Are you sure it is radiator coolant? The pics you are showing are of the transmission cooler lines. tanny fluid is also red. Check your transmission fluid and make sure it is not low.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by seawolf18
Are you sure it is radiator coolant? The pics you are showing are of the transmission cooler lines. tanny fluid is also red. Check your transmission fluid and make sure it is not low.
Second that. And actually, smell the fluid if you can get enough on your fingers. Trans fluid and coolant will smell completely different. If it's transmission fluid, I would disconnect the line and reseat it (make sure it's not cross threading or loose).

Also, that fitting is right above the radiator cap. It looks like you have one of those caps that lets you vent off pressure so you can open the radiator without coolant erupting. I've had an experience with those caps that they did not last as long as a regular radiator cap (the seal did not hold up). I believe you can have the cap pressure tested, see if it's holding pressure. PLUS, if you are leaking coolant, I believe you can do a loan-a-tool from a parts store and borrow a radiator pressure tester. You can pressurize the entire cooling system (you would have to check and it's normally on the factory cap, I think it holds 15 lbs of pressure max, so pumping to 13 lbs to leak check should do) and listen for hissing and look/touch around on a cool engine.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM

@The Maniac: I know I am loosing a lot of coolant but there are no leaks... I don't see it within the oil change or checking the oil dip stick. So as far as my car loosin coolant, I really have no clue.... The radiator cap thats on my radiator is "suppose to be safety" reasons. Tightly SEALED cap instead of the regular factory cap.

@seawolf18: I just had my trans rebuild for $1800 last month. I feel no difference in the trans so when I checked the area where that fitting was, it shows that its NOT COOLANT, its all trans fluid. SMH! Now as far as the fitting goes, it wasn't leaking until a week or so "after" I had Aamco rebuild the trans. Now I will have to take it back to them and let them know what is the problem.

Thanks guys for your input, I really appreciate it!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rgant_19
@The Maniac: I know I am loosing a lot of coolant but there are no leaks... I don't see it within the oil change or checking the oil dip stick. So as far as my car loosin coolant, I really have no clue.... The radiator cap thats on my radiator is "suppose to be safety" reasons. Tightly SEALED cap instead of the regular factory cap.
I'm curious as to the "safety" reasons requiring you to run that cap vs. the factory cap. To my knowledge, the ONLY reason to run that cap is to be able to easily and manually control releasing pressure from the radiator. Other then that, there is no need for a cap with an extra valve like that on a street car (and if there is, I think you have a LOT more going on). Again, I have seen those caps fail in the past.

Now, you mention you're loosing lots of coolant and also you confirmed that wet spot is trans fluid. Since you just had the transmission serviced a month ago, you might want have them look at this entire problem. Odds are in the trans service, that probably didn't snug that trans line into the radiator.

But, if you are still on the do-it-yourself, check the trans lines, make sure they are tight. As far as the coolant leak, I lean on get the radiator pressure tester and pressurize the entire cooling system. You can inspect for leaks/hissing. The 3800 has a problem with plastic elbows braking (they are under the tensioner bracket, super easy to replace and cheap too).

Hope that helps some!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Check around the water pump, it may be going...
When i had coolant leak, it was due to my bad water pump.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM

@ The Maniac: I was thinkin the samething about the "saftey cap". Its just a promo thing and they gettin money out of those who THINK it will do some good...
I didn't know they had that type of tool to loan out, if that was the case, the problem would have been HALF way solved by now...LOL
Thanks for the insight with that one!!!

@Jomao_o: Thats the thing, its not leaking no coolant, I just added some in the reserve jug and it was PRETTY LOW. Then, my low coolant light flashes back on...SMH