Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Constant squealing, not a clue as to what it is.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:43 AM
1 Year Member
Exclamation Constant squealing, not a clue as to what it is.

03 monte carlo 3.4L LS 130k miles

Repairs thus far :
-Replaced pressure control selonoid within owning the car in 3 weeks.
-Replaced entire steering assembly due to defect.
-Replaced entire abs electrical system (wiring).
-Replaced all 4 strut/shocks due to excessive wear.
-Replaced Water pump, due to leaks.
-Replaced Upper intake manifold, due to leaks.
-Replaced Head gasket, because I was already ***** deep in the engine and it was close to leaking.
-Replaced EGR due to faulty stock item.
-Replaced Inner/Outer tie rods.
-Replaced wheel bearings 4 times (3 times on the driver front wheel and once on the passenger front wheel.)
In addition to all this ive conducted maintenance on my car at the required intervals so my question is...

WHY DOES THIS CAR PERSIST WITH PROBLEMS?

I've driven it like a granny, always avoiding going over 2500 rpm on the engine, slow turns, nice stops. It boggles my mind that something like this could have so many issues.

Now the real problem. I have every check light on in my car at the moment. Ive neglected the car over the winter as its been -50 in Minnesota, so Im now starting to begin the painful journey of getting this car back into decent running order again. Here is a list of problems with my pos car:

Check engine light-Scanner reads insufficient oxygen to engine. Ive cleaned my mass airflow sensor with the approved cleaner, changed my EGR out, and installed a KN air filter. I believe there is carbon buildup in my throttle /Upper intake so I plan on doing that today.

The Airbag red light of doom-It came on over the winter, the car has been in NO accidents and the light would come on and off on different days (not predictable.) I believe that is a shorted wire somewhere but I am unsure as to where to begin.

My abs is off-The light came on just a week ago. I thought it was the wheel bearing (driver front and ill get to that in a moment) but after changing that out no luck, so ill be running a abs scanner on that today.

The ungodly screeching noise- coming front my front end (believe its the driver front). My car will CONSTANTLY make this noise and ive done everything I can think of including but not limited to: changing rotor, brake pad, brake pad clips, shaving break pad clips so they don't rub, re-torqueing wheel bearing retaining nut, applying tons of disk brake quiet on the back of the brake pad that comes into contact with the caliper, and yelling at it. Its obnoxious and continues to squeal whether im going reverse of forward. It does not stop and even at higher speeds it can be heard (although not as loud). I will post more later but I plan on tackling these items today in my time off.

If anyone knows of a way to check for the problem area in any of these categories your help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I am stuck with this car until I finish college and I have to somehow make it last. Thanks again fellas.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Someairforceguy
03 monte carlo 3.4L LS 130k miles

The ungodly screeching noise- coming front my front end (believe its the driver front). My car will CONSTANTLY make this noise and ive done everything I can think of including but not limited to: changing rotor, brake pad, brake pad clips, shaving break pad clips so they don't rub, re-torqueing wheel bearing retaining nut, applying tons of disk brake quiet on the back of the brake pad that comes into contact with the caliper, and yelling at it. Its obnoxious and continues to squeal whether im going reverse of forward. It does not stop and even at higher speeds it can be heard (although not as loud). I will post more later but I plan on tackling these items today in my time off.

Check the metal backing plate for contact against the rotor(s).

Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would venture a guess.. since you have changed out pretty much everything else.... How about the hub bearings? Have you swapped them out for new ones?
Look on the inside of the rim for scrape markings....
If there are..check the bottom 2 bolts that hold the strut in place..(Maybe 1 is backing out) some have had issues with the bolts...

Check air bag light...
Could be a sensor that's either going bad..or ... theres a bad connection..I would try un plugging them...cleaning the connectors the best you can and maybe ad a little dielectric grease to secure the connection and see if that doesn't clear up the problem...If that's not it..Then I would recommend replacing them or have them replaced. (I have had this happen to me on my Silverado..)

Despite cleaning the MAF...
It may have not cleaned it sufficiently enough.... You may need tyo replace it... Its highly recommended you replace it with only an ACDelco MAF..

Others have reported issues with using a K&N air filter... as they are an oil base/filled element... in turn what happens it contaminates the MAF thus causing a check engine light to light up..once they went back to a standard air filter after replacing the MAF with a new ACDelco one...
The problem disappeared... I'm taking it that you have the standard air filter box and not a CAI system....

Once again the ABS light could be that either the wheel sensor is defective.. and or it could also be just another dirty/corroted connection...
With the weather you have there I think is contributing some of the current issues your having as anyone knows anything that sits over time theres bound to be some corrosion/connection issue...

Hope this helps...
I'm sure someone else will chime in with other ideas...

Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM

Mine had a squeal on the passenger side and it turned out to be a metal "shield" by the ball joint to keep grease from getting on the rotor when you grease the ball joint. At least I think that's what my nephew said it was for. He pried it out with a pry bar and voila' no more squeal. Might be worth looking into if you have replaced the ball joints and they have a grease zerk on them since I don't think the factory ones do.