Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Console Lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Default Console Lid

I'm going to be looking for a console lid for my 99 z,Looks like it was designed poorly compared to the nice metal piano hinge style console lid hinge on my GP.
IF I do find a good one... do they pop off or do i need some tools? I don't know what a good one looks like as mine is all busted up. thanks in advance. [/align]

Old 04-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Default RE: Console Lid

GOOD LUCK. They are $170 at a dealer and dealer cost is $105. I have not been able to find them in junk yards at all..probably because they are all broken.I too have a '99 Z34 with the same issue. If you are savvy with tools and metal, here is a link to check out from the forum. Mrl390 built a new hinge for his.
https://montecarloforum.com/m_79024/tm.htm
Oh and they are a terrible design. A LOT of them break with the least force. It makes you think if some designers have foresight. lol.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Went to the scrap yard just the other day and they did not want to sell me any aluminum. I said I would pay them enough to make it worth selling but they still didnt want to sell it to me. They had a few nice pieces of angle too just sitting there. They must have someone who REALLY makes it worth their whileto sell. Are more carsusing aluminum in them or something? Are buildings using more aluminum? Are they exporting the aluminum? Beats me.If I only had stickier fingers it would have found its way into the back of my car. Lol. Ill have to wait a little bit and see if their minds change. The good thing about the whole deal though is that I got a real good price for my aluminum cans.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: rysZ34

GOOD LUCK. They are $170 at a dealer and dealer cost is $105. I have not been able to find them in junk yards at all..probably because they are all broken.I too have a '99 Z34 with the same issue. If you are savvy with tools and metal, here is a link to check out from the forum. Mrl390 built a new hinge for his.
https://montecarloforum.com/m_79024/tm.htm
Oh and they are a terrible design. A LOT of them break with the least force. It makes you think if some designers have foresight. lol.
Cool! thanks for the link. That looks pretty easy, was already thinking about building my own if I can't find one.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:05 PM

Yeah no problem. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy a new lid. I'm more careful than the previous owner and I am hoping I won't break it...lol.