Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Cleaning Throttle Body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cleaning Throttle Body?

2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 L

Does anyone have a good write up or video on how to clean the throttle body on my '01 Monte? I like to clean it periodically but I'm not sure what all needs removed? On my '96 Olds I used to just remove the air duct and MAF sensor and voila' I could clean the throttle plate and body.

This looks like its a tad more involved? I tried to find a good write up on here but couldn't locate one and I found one on Youtube but the dude shoots the video from way outside the firewall on the left side and blocks most of what he's doing/removing LOL.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 03-16-2014, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah I saw that one and its good for showing it off the car but I'd like one to show me what I need to remove to take it off the car. Unfortunately that one doesn't show you. It looks like there are 3 nuts maybe that need taken off? Is that all? Other than disconnecting the pigtails and harnesses and what not.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A 3800 TB is easy to remove. I don't have pics or any links, but basically pull the air duct off (a small flat head can help pop it off), disconnect the wiring harnesses, get security torx bits and remove the MAF from the top, I also suggest pulling the IAC off (it's a cylinder shaped item that has a wiring harness to it), while doing this, good time to hit the hardware store for hex screws to get rid of all the torx ones..... After that, I'd remove the throttle linkage cables (for the most part they just pop off, then use a small screw driver to release the keeper tabs holding them in place on the tb bracket).

After that, 3 nuts holding it the the UIM, and one bolt on a support bracket to the LIM and it comes right out.

About 5 minutes to do. Don't forget to replace the TB gasket (otherwise you may open yourself for coolant leaks).

Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
A 3800 TB is easy to remove. I don't have pics or any links, but basically pull the air duct off (a small flat head can help pop it off), disconnect the wiring harnesses, get security torx bits and remove the MAF from the top, I also suggest pulling the IAC off (it's a cylinder shaped item that has a wiring harness to it), while doing this, good time to hit the hardware store for hex screws to get rid of all the torx ones..... After that, I'd remove the throttle linkage cables (for the most part they just pop off, then use a small screw driver to release the keeper tabs holding them in place on the tb bracket).

After that, 3 nuts holding it the the UIM, and one bolt on a support bracket to the LIM and it comes right out.

About 5 minutes to do. Don't forget to replace the TB gasket (otherwise you may open yourself for coolant leaks).
Hey great thanks man exactly what I was looking for.

Any idea what size those stupid "security" torx are? I'll have to pick up one of those.