Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Cigar Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Default Cigar Lighter

What could cause my cigar lighter in my '99 MC to keep blowing fuses when I plug something into it? How hard is it to pull the cigar lighter out of the console? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Default RE: Cigar Lighter

not to hard at all. they screw apart and then you can put anew one in its place.

most of the time they are not groundign good or have shorted out somehow and cause it to blow fuses.
Also sometimes what your pluging in to it can cause this also.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 PM

Just my new Sirius unit. WHICH I LOVE. I was able to hook up the unit without blowing the fuse long enough to listen for a minute. I just need to finish hiding the wires, which isn't hard at all. I bought the unit at Best Buy, it's the Sirius SV4 and it was supposed to come with a $30 subscription card that when you bought it, you got $30 instant rebate, but they didn't have any cards left so we got $30 off the unit itself.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM

kool!! I love mine also.

also a thing to check is where the wires run threw under the dash etc... make sur enone of them have rubber threw

Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Cool Thanks! I'll be running the wires today, yesterday I just wanted to get everything mounted. Hiding wiring is kind of my specialty....I put a lightbar and siren on an Aveo and nobody knew it was there. ) Well..the siren...they knew the lightbar was there...it was kind of on top of the car...LOL.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM

[align=center]Hi Ryan,[/align][align=center]Found the below information.[/align][align=center]Hope it helps...`Space[/align][align=center]

Cigarette Lighter adapter blowing fuses
[align=right]
[/align][/align]Posted by Staff Published in Power Accessories, Sirius in your vehicle, Replacement Parts[/align][/align]
Q. Everytime I plug in my Sirius adapter in my car my cigarette outlet fuse blows. Could I have blown a fuse in the adapter itself? If so, what can I do so this doesn’t happen again? Should I keep my adapter plugged in all times?
A. The first thing I would try is replacing theSirius cigarette lighter adapter, it could be that the adapter you are using has some kind of short in it causing the fuses to blow.
If you have tried replacing the cigarette lighter adapter then theSirius Radioitself probably has a short in it.
Source below
http://siriusanswers.com/2008/01/31/cigarette-lighter-adapter-blowing-fuses/
Below is another link to check out
http://askville.amazon.com/fuse-burn...uestId=2629350[/align][/align]

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM

[align=center]For member's like `Space that didn't know[/align][align=center]what a Sirius SV4 was, I found the below site.[/align][align=center]Look forward to Ryan's review on his install/fix : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]$30 Discount on Sirius SV4 Stratus 4 Satellite Radio Receiver + $30 Sirius Prepaid Card - $49.99[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]: Best Buy

By CouponMama 3 days ago in Audio & Video - Right now at BestBuy, save $30 when you purchase the SIRIUS Stratus 4 satellite radio with vehicle kit together with a SIRIUS $30 service gift card. Both items are only $49.99. Offer ends 4/05/08
[/align][align=center][/align][ul][align=center]Digg/Share
Problem?
More Sirius Stratus 4 Satellite Radio [/align][/ul][align=center][/align][align=center]+ more+ less[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
$79.99$49.99

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Source link below[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.savings.com/detail/143007-coupon.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info 'Space. I replaced the cigar lighter itself with an extra one from the Malibu--problem fixed. The lighter itself was bad, but I never knew it because I have never used it. The hardest part about install this system yourself is routing the wires. I had the trip pieces and the center console out and they are hid! ) I lost signal today in the carwash...but that's expected and Sirius says that. I love the unit so far and it was really nice getting it for cheap. I misspoke--Because Best Buy didn't have the card they took $30 off from my purchase price, $49.00 which equals $19.00 not $29.99 like I said above. ) LOL. Thanks again for the info!