Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Check engine light won't come on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Question Check engine light won't come on.

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo Jeff Gordon series. Won't pass emissions due to no check engine light. I was told the cluster board needed to be replaced at a cost of $350 for a used one. $600 new. My question is why can't this one be repaired? If that is indeed the problem? Looking online I see where you can send it in to be repaired, but no mention of a check engine light. I am not at all mechanically inclined, I actually got this car for my daughter. Looking back I don't know if the light ever worked. I honestly do not remember. Nobody paid attention until emission time. I've had work done on it so mechanics have looked at car nobody caught this. How do I know that the check engine light stayed on & would not go off & the previous owner did something to make it go off? Car was bought in Illinois where I'm told there is no emission testing. Therefore the dealer would not bother to make certain it was working. Also told it is illegal to sell a car this way. I've had it for a year so I could not now prove if it was bought this way. Am at a loss here. Suggestions please!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is possible that your board can be repaired, but that really couldn't be determined until some tests were run on it. It may be a burned out light, cold solder joint or anything else in the circuit. A lot of places just sell the entire unit (sometimes on an exchange basis) because in the long run it is more cost efficient for the customer versus paying for diagnostics, repair and labor.

Since your light doesn't work you could take your car to O'Reilly or Autozone and have them scan the PCM for codes. Their scanners won't detect certain codes - you'd need a shop/dealer with a Tech II or equivalent scanner to read all codes - but it may reveal some 'hidden' problems you're not aware of.

Whether or not the sale of the vehicle was legal or not I don't know because I'm not familiar with the laws in your locale.