Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Check engine light while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Default Check engine light while accelerating

well this has been one hell of a week! my check engine light comes on randomly while accelerating. then the car will sputter and it wont really accelerate anymore untill the light goes off.. thankfully the light only comes on for about 5 seconds or so. but its annoying as ****. car only has 72k miles on it. which is ridiculous cause the wheel hub is bad and the gas gauge. god knows what else in the near future. anyways if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic. i love this car but if it keeps acting up its gonna have to go.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:48 PM

Well your definately gonna have to get your car scanned with a scanner, not a code reader. If your saying that your CEL only comes on when you accelerate your gonna have to plug the scanner in and take the car for a ride to determine what the code is through Freeze Frame. The scanner will take snapshots at what speeds and how much voltage is being sent to the sensors TPS, MAF, MAP. I am pretty sure it will give you information on your fuel injectors which one is fouled (if it is). If your saying your having problems with your gas gauge it could most likely be fuel related. But to be honest it can be anything O2 sensor, or a plugged catalytic converter Good luck diagnosing, dont give up on your Monte yet

Last edited by l0gitech87; 06-05-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I first put the turbo on my car, I had the spark plugs improperly gapped. The resulting condition was very much like you describe. When I hooked my scanner up to it I got a code that read something like, PENDING CODE: RANDOM MISFIRE: ALL CYLINDERS. When I regapped the plugs and reset the pending code, the problem went away. My CEL wasn't on even though it had a code "pending". Good luck!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM

well i did scann it while it was in the drive way(no CEL on at the time) but it didnt pull anything up. i did buy this car used at an auction so i dont know much about it before i got it. i have owned it for over a year and put just around 5k miles on it. i'm thinking im gonna do all new plugs and wires just for starters. i think i need to do that anyways and see what happens. thanks for the quick responses. i should probably check the CAT aswell

Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM

kinda sounds like your plugs have fouled out.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Boxman420
well i did scann it while it was in the drive way(no CEL on at the time) but it didnt pull anything up. i did buy this car used at an auction so i dont know much about it before i got it. i have owned it for over a year and put just around 5k miles on it. i'm thinking im gonna do all new plugs and wires just for starters. i think i need to do that anyways and see what happens. thanks for the quick responses. i should probably check the CAT aswell
same thing happened with my old monte i used to own, one day while driving on the highway it started hesitating and i would give it gas and nothing, the CEL would come on and off and it felt like the transmission was slipping and missing gears, i even went as far as putting another transmission in it
in the end it turned to be the dang CAT

Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM

thats what mine is doing too. it just randomly doesnt want to go. but its not a daily thing. so im gonna have to get that checked out. hopefully wont cost to much