Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Default check engine light

My wifes car is a big pain in the *** since we bought it. We bought a 2001 Olsdmobile Aurora 4.0 V8and i scanned three codes. The first code its had since we remanned the tranny and it hasn't affected anything - secondary air injection system malfunction. But the two newest codes are PO385 Crankshaft Position Sensor B malfunction and PO386 Crankshaft Position Sensor B range/performance malfunction. My question is how do I go about fixing this problem and what is it that I need to fix. I know this aint about a Monte but i really need some help. Btw my 83 Monte is coming along nicely just need to take pictures lol.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Default RE: check engine light

[align=center]Hi Stephen, [/align][align=center]I'm sorry to read that your having problems with your[/align][align=center]wife's car : )[/align][align=center]I hope the below information helps in some way.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, oh look forward to your pic's.[/align][align=center]Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]GM [/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Unstable engine idling. Some 2000-01 Cadillac DeVilles, Eldorados and Sevilles, and 2001 Oldsmobile Auroras-all with either the 4.0L or 4.6L engine-may exhibit engine idle speed troubles, hard starting, no-- starts or a stall on deceleration. The trouble may be highlighted by a Service Engine Soon light, and the PCM may throw a few DTCs-P0335, P0336, P0385, P0386 or P1599. [/align][align=center]The problem may be with either the crank sensor or the PCM. If the vehicle displays the crank sensor codes mentioned, then inspect the terminals of both crank sensors for poor connections and/or corrosion. Plug and unplug the terminals several times to ensure good connections are made. Next, inspect the sensor circuit wires for damage, then move to the PCM and inspect the crank sensor circuit inputs for poor connections at the plug. [/align][align=center]Now remove the crank sensors and check for debris stuck on the sensor. Verify crank sensor location ("A" on the bottom, "B" on the top), then make sure each sensor circuit wire is in the correct socket position. [/align][align=center]Next, check the date code on the sensor. If it reads before 0276, replace the crankshaft sensors with upper and lower sensors-Part Nos. 12559529 and 12559530, respectively. After sensor replacement, do a case learn with a scan tool. [/align][align=center]If the code shows after 0276, however, verify the PCM ground connections. A ground voltage drop test should read less than 20mV. If the PCM ground circuit is okay, then troubleshoot for internal PCM troubles. [/align][align=center]If an idle stall, near stall or deceleration stall exists and only a DTC P1599 sets, then check the power and ground connections for the PCM. Verify the crank sensor locations and check that sensor circuit wires are in the correct cavities in the harness. Check both sensors for debris. Next, check the fuel pressure regulator for fuel leaks past the diaphragm, then do an injector balance leak test. Clean all EGR valve passages, then inspect and clean the IAC passages, as well. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hope it helps.[/align][align=center]Good Luck,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 02-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Default RE: check engine light

i know alot of crankshaft position sensors get replaced on the northstar engines. they'll come in for just the check engine light, stalling, and no starts. having 2 codes for crank sensor B, i'd go ahead and replace sensor B.

i personally havent changed any, i didnt think they're that hard to change, but it pays 1.5hrs for one, 1.7hrs for both....so it cant be super easy. should be located a lil to the drivers side and up from the oil filter. lower sensor is A, upper sensor is B. now even if you change the sensor yourself, it is likely you'll end up having to take it in to get the crankshaft position variation relearned. it'll come up as code p1336 if you need to.